It's a cube, really (WIP)

Started by otakar, November 09, 2017, 06:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otakar

This is just sort of a proof of concept. I took a cube and applied displacement via a simple shader to create a curved wall out of it. Modeling right in TG, baby!  8)

Disregard the shiny figure, just there for scale...

bobbystahr

nicely done and yup there's a lot you can actually build right in terragen; be nice to have some boolean tools to make holes in the procedural objects like the cube. then a door or a window in that wall would be a snap.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

This is a SSS in use...? :o Very clever!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

otakar

Quote from: N-drju on November 10, 2017, 03:05:57 AM
This is a SSS in use...? :o Very clever!

Thanks. Yep, SSS with a smooth border at 98% (in this instance) driving a vector displacement node - displaced in one direction only - gives you a curved shape. Sure, you can crank out a shape like that in Blender in 20 seconds probably, but I like it when you can accomplish the same right in TG and then have other masks (for the soil for example) derived from the same source. If you end up moving it, everything moves with it.

N-drju

Quote from: otakar on November 11, 2017, 01:33:33 AM
...but I like it when you can accomplish the same right in TG and then have other masks (for the soil for example) derived from the same source. If you end up moving it, everything moves with it.

Yes, I agree. :) It is always better to perform all operations on one software instead of having four programs, each for different purpose. I also like all-encompassing solutions like that one. But sometimes your node network is not that comfortable - changing one setting will force you to redesign other solutions too! It depends on the project really.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"