Antarctic landscape

Started by sboerner, November 13, 2017, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

QuoteCreate a Heightfield Generate node and feed your procedural displacement network into the Shader input. Set the "Size in Meters" of the heightfield big enough to cover your area of interest and the "Number of points" top whatever you want the resolution (detail) of the heightfield version to be.

Thanks, Oshyan. I thought I tried that but I must have missed something. Maybe the bit about setting the size and resolution. I'll give it another go this evening.

Just curious: How is displacement data transmitted through the network? As vectors? (I suspect there's more to it than that.)

Matt

What's transmitted through the network is something called the "Render State", which contains not only the position of the current point in space but also a few other variables. I've written some more about that here:

http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_State

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

sboerner

QuoteWhat's transmitted through the network is something called the "Render State", which contains not only the position of the current point in space but also a few other variables.

Thanks, Matt. Good information in that link, and in the individual shader descriptions as well. Slowly, slowly starting to get my head around all this.

QuoteRemember that non-planar (e.g. overhanging) features cannot be represented in a heightfield and so will be lost. After generating you can right-click and Save As, just as with other heightfields.

Piping the procedural network back into a heightfield worked like a charm, Oshyan. The network included some lateral displacements and a strata shader. Both were lost and I assume are among the non-planar features that you mentioned. But still a good option to keep in mind.

sboerner

Final version of the revised scene. (For now – still seeing some things that need tweaking.) Calling this "Midnight at Taylor Glacier."

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Thanks, Bobby. It's a start. I sure learned a lot.

J_Con

Nice crunchy looking snow/ice. That environment is such a strange place.Nicely done.