Is It Real or Memorex?

Started by rcallicotte, September 21, 2007, 08:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

The real difficulty in trying to do this with an Landscape app, at least without using a DEM, would be in getting the erosion/deposition in the hills. That's what really gives it away as being real. The rest of it is probably possible with a lot of work, at least to look realistic if not with as much variety as in the picture.

Oshyan

In this case you would definitely want to use DEM's as they're readily available for the area with decent resolution. But yes, creating such a scene from scratch would be quite difficult in terms of terrain modeling.

- Oshyan

efflux

Having said that, the vegetation is very real looking. Difficult to do this I guess but you could get something that looks OK. This is a great picture to judge against because it has things we'd want to strive for.

Dmytry (Mojoworld plugins) had an erosion/depostion fractal in the pipeline that looked really great:

So I guess it's possible to get some of the way there procedurally. Sadly this was never released. We'll have to wait for Dmytry's own app I suppose.

Canon Digital Rebel Cameras are good for Landscapes but terrible for portraits. Bad skin colours.