Sun Color on Landscape?

Started by avalanch, November 20, 2017, 03:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avalanch

Hello everyone.. Back in the day I was a huge fan of Terragen Classic, spent many hours on the program. I am now trying to learn V3 and V4, and I must admit it is way different, but I am hanging in there. Question, how does one change the color of the sun, for instance at sunset and have the colors change the landscape, but not the whole scene? If I change the Sun's color, the whole scene changes to that color, I was hoping to just get more color on the landscape and not over everything. Any help or tips would be appreciated, thanks in advance..

Ariel DK

Hi, welcome again

The most simple solution, is go to your sun node, and disable the "light atmo/cloud" option, then, copy it.
in your copied sun disable the "light surfaces" option and re-enable "light atmo", and change the color as you want
now your default sun is lighting your planet surface and the 2nd one, should affect only your atmos
keep in mind that when you change the color of your 2nd sun, this also gonna afect your shadows in the distance

Cheers,
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Oshyan

Simply changing the sun angle to be low in the sky should automatically change the color realistically, just as in Terragen Classic. In Terragen Classic if you changed the sun color it would affect the whole landscape too. I'm not really sure what effect you are trying to achieve here, because part of your question sounds like you just want to create a realistic sunset effect (simply put the sun near the horizon, it will happen automatically), and you seem to understand the color on the landscape should change, but then you say you want it to "not affect the whole scene". What is "the whole scene" aside from the landscape? The sky? Are you wanting a colored landscape (as if it's sunset colors) but to have the sky not affected by this? That would look quite strange and unrealistic, but if that's the effect you want then Ariel's suggestion of 2 suns is the way to do it.

- Oshyan

avalanch

Oshyan and Ariel thanks to both of you for answering. Oshyan, yes I am trying to make a sunset in the mountains, and now that you mention it, maybe the sun was to high, when I changed the color to more of an orange/yellow, it messed up the whole scene, where I was simply trying to get that "alpine-glow" effect on the terrain. I will change the height and see if that does it naturally. Ariel, thanks for your input too, I will also try out your suggestions...