Peachy Clouds - Seeking General Guidance

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), November 17, 2017, 12:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I'm looking for some general tips on creating clouds that look warm and peachy, and/or with some dramatic lighting.  I have been experimenting, and am generally getting a colder look in my clouds.  Any tips on Sun Angle, Power, Atmosphere settings, clouds settings would be helpful.  I have been doing tests by animating settings, and rendering the results to see the change, but am still hunting down a good solution to achieve this look. 

Here is what I am going for:

Currently the look I have is something more purple like this (too cold):

So I'm needing to know how to go from a cooler purple look to the warmer peachy look.

Thanks for any tips,

Derek

Ariel DK

Hi D.A. Bentley

Well, there is a LOT of things that you can do for achieve this. there is also some useful clips in the cloud library.
about light and atmos, if are using TG4 open your Atmos node and check the next:
- decrease the "haze density" value. try something like 0.2
- Increase your "haze horizon" colour
- play with the "bluesky density", i recommend you something like 2.1
- in the "Heigh control" tab, decrease the "bluesky heigh" from 8k to 7k
- or in your Lighting tab, try increase your "Haze glow" and "Bluesky glow amount". take careful on this, will make your atmosphere much more brighter
- and finally in your "Tweak" tab, play with the "Redsky decay color" value and make it a little more red. you can also increase you ozone factor to 0.6
now you can down your sun elevation to 0 and thats it. if you want to elevate your sun, just decrease the strength as you need it
so far as I remember, this should work with the default v3.9 Clouds model. hope this mini-tutorial will be useful :)

Cheers
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Oshyan

I'd say the simplest place to start is with a low sun angle, around 0 to 1 degree above the horizon. Then increase Red Decay a bit and/or change the color to have a little more red in it. But a little goes a long way in this case. Switch to the RGB color picker where you can specify numerically the amount of red and you can make more precise changes there.

Ozone will tend to make the sky more blue by the way, although this is not necessarily totally counter to getting a realistic sunset sky with a lot of red/pink in it. Sometimes you'll see bright pink clouds with a very blue sky above.

- Oshyan

Thanks guys!  I have followed your advice, and am achieving the results I was going for now.  I'm doing some renderings to post, and will include my exact settings here soon.

Derek

bobbystahr

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on November 18, 2017, 06:36:45 PM
Thanks guys!  I have followed your advice, and am achieving the results I was going for now.  I'm doing some renderings to post, and will include my exact settings here soon.

Derek

Ain't this just the best forum eh!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

I finally finished my Peachy Clouds scene, but it is a 360 Skybox render I don't think I can post here (yet), as it is professional work for a company.  I'll make a normal camera render I can post soon, but I did notice in the NWDA Gallery there is a perfect example of what I was trying to achieve.  I still havn't gotten quite there, but pretty close.

Check out this awesome render by Tangled-Universe (Martin Huisman):  http://www.nwdastore.com/wp-content/gallery/gallery/010217_large_v4.jpg
More of TU's work can be found here:  https://tangled-universe.deviantart.com

Peachy enough?
[attach=1]

Oshyan

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

In addition to the help I received from Ariel DK & Oshyan, I wanted to thank NWDA for the many atmosphere products they sell.  I was able to learn a lot from this one in particular for this type of sunset scene:  http://www.store.nwdastore.com/sunset-pack-v2

Now on to learn about Easy Clouds!  ;)

Brrrt

A bit late, but something like this as well?

[attach=1]