Cratered VII

Started by cyphyr, November 18, 2017, 02:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

A fantasy cratered world.
Using a modified version of DJ's procedural craters and Blinkfrogs erosion plug-in.
Background is a Photoshop star field and a Terragen nebula (V2 clouds).
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Wow, glad y posted that here as well. It's true awesomeness comes to light; speaking of which, love the near horizontal god rays man....brilliant.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Wondrous! Very nice lighting.

Stormlord

Cool Scene!
Like it, colors, scenery, stars...

STORMLORD

mhaze

Ooo! nice, the moon with an atmosphere!

Denis Sirenko

Cool! I love craters. The biggest problem for me is the intersection of their rims. I could not solve this problem so far. The upper crater still leaves rims of the lower crater. Although it should have destroyed it and created an flat platform.

cyphyr

Quote from: Denis Sirenko on November 20, 2017, 11:07:23 AM
Cool! I love craters. The biggest problem for me is the intersection of their rims. I could not solve this problem so far. The upper crater still leaves rims of the lower crater. Although it should have destroyed it and created an flat platform.

You're absolutely right and I've not solved the issue here. I've not been able to work out a way of deciding which of two overlapping craters destroys the other. It can't be uniform because then (for example) all mid sized craters would destroy the rims of large sized craters they overlap and that would not be right. Sometimes they would because the mid sized crater arrived later but sometimes a larger crater was the later arival and destroyed the rime of the mid sized crater. ANd of course it's actually much more complex with many different sized craters.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

DannyG

Reminds me of Hillrunner's Chasma Mojoworld terrain. Cool stuff Richard
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

SILENCER

Denis Sirenko

Quote from: cyphyr on November 20, 2017, 11:33:00 AM
It can't be uniform because then (for example) all mid sized craters would destroy the rims of large sized craters they overlap and that would not be right.

Cyphyr, what do you call "destroy"? How did you put a single crater on top of the other? Is this not just a sequential displacement of the surface first by one crater, then by another? In other words, if we first put a large crater, and then the middle one, it will give the same result as if we first laid the middle crater, and then the large crater? Or not? Could you make two screenshots of the previews to see the differences?

cyphyr

Ideally craters that arrived at a later date would remove the crater rims of the craters below where they hit due to the force of the impact regardless of their size.
Since the procedural craters are fairly uniform is size I have made several (5 I think) versions at different sizes and displacements. This means that I have a separate set of tiny, small, medium, large and huge craters. I would like to have some of the medium craters overlap some of the larger craters and smaller craters but also have the medium craters overlapped by both smaller and larger craters and of course the same random overlapping (and removal of previous crater beneath the overlap) for all sizes of crater.
I'm working on another project at the moment but I'll see if I can make some screen shots a,d upload a tgc to the file sharing section.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Denis Sirenko

It would be cool. It is very interesting to learn how the rims that were trapped inside a new crater were being removed. Mechanism itself. I have a way, but it's quite complicated to calculate. Long rendering.

As for the 5-layers... What if not 5 layers, but 15 layers? I did about the same. Huge, big, medium, small, tiny... Then again huge, big, medium, small, tiny. It is in this sequence. And you can have one more to completely get rid of artificially. In each layer, the number of craters will need to be made 3 times less (if in total 15 layers) to get the same number of craters that would be in the old scheme.