Strange Dark Unwanted Areas

Started by Scott_TX, November 28, 2017, 11:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_TX

Can anyone help explain why I'm getting the dark splotches in the sand areas of this render?  They appear to be shadows of some kind?  They do not appear in the preview window.
AMD 3900X with 48GB Ram GTX1660Ti

Dune

Looks like a displacement intersection issue. What if you vary those values (if that's the case)?

Scott_TX

Dune

This has given me some problems too over time, and the trouble is you can't see this happening in the preview, only when rendering.

René

I sometimes run into strange artifacts too. I think the only way to find out what's causing it, is to disable clouds, textures etc. one by one and do small test renders of that area until it disappears.

Scott_TX

I have tried everything I can think off.  I would appreciate a second or third pair of eyes.  Attached is the Scene File.  The heighfield file can be found: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1g-4fWfeTBiSCoDJFWk1Pb1_DOAVqSJS8

OOPS! 

Also it is frame 270.

The rock textures will be missing and I have deleted all of the populations.

cyphyr

This is just the default vanilla scene, can you re-upload please.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

DannyG

Sand ripples are excellent well done
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Scott_TX

Quote from: Danny on November 29, 2017, 12:47:26 PM
Sand ripples are excellent well done

Sand ripples were downloaded from a thread here.  Sorry but I cant remember from whom I borrowed them.

Scott_TX

Quote from: Dune on November 29, 2017, 03:02:44 AM
This has given me some problems too over time, and the trouble is you can't see this happening in the preview, only when rendering.

It's very frustrating.

Oshyan

You have "Lock subdiv to frame" enabled with frame 1 selected. You have a very large camera move and with terrain geometry dependent on detail calculated at frame 1 (and Level of Detail being dependent on distance from camera), you are ending up with very low resolution geometry in the foreground. Disabling the Lock Sudiv option resolves the problem. If you did not enable that option to troubleshoot/resolve a specific issue we recommend not using it. It's really just there to deal with a few problem cases that are not otherwise easily handled.

- Oshyan

Dune

I saw that you have a displacement intersection indeed, but am tied up today and tomorrow by a very tight deadline, so I hope someone else will have an indepth look.

Scott_TX

Quote from: Oshyan on November 29, 2017, 08:55:19 PM
You have "Lock subdiv to frame" enabled with frame 1 selected. You have a very large camera move and with terrain geometry dependent on detail calculated at frame 1 (and Level of Detail being dependent on distance from camera), you are ending up with very low resolution geometry in the foreground. Disabling the Lock Sudiv option resolves the problem. If you did not enable that option to troubleshoot/resolve a specific issue we recommend not using it. It's really just there to deal with a few problem cases that are not otherwise easily handled.

- Oshyan

Thanks so much!!