NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge Participation Poll

Started by DannyG, November 28, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in participating in NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge "Cliffs"?

I am Definitely Interested .. When can We Start
19 (52.8%)
I am interested, but I am not 100% certain I have the time
13 (36.1%)
I am interested, but I am not happy with the Theme
2 (5.6%)
Thank you, but I am not interested
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: December 31, 2017, 07:31:45 PM

Dune

I agree with Seth, but Paq has a point when talking about a (not too big) lottery fourth prize. That would give everybody a fair chance of winning at least something, and lure more people perhaps.

As for WIP's or not, what Oshyan says was my thought too; even without WIP's one might be intimidated by the presumed entries by 'pro's', especially if they're allowed to import premade photogrammic cliff faces....

cyphyr

In that case maybe using pre made Photogrametric Cliff faces should be ruled out. Unfortunately there are only a few such sources available and it will be easy to recognise and compare.
Quote from: Seth on December 08, 2017, 12:45:51 AM
Quote from: paq on December 08, 2017, 12:25:14 AM

I think that the quality of the wip thread is as important as the final image, and should be taken in consideration when you choose the winners.

No.
Only the definitive should and will be judged.
You don't judge the 100m in the Olympics by looking at how the runner improved during his training but by how fast he actually runs.
In my opinion.

The general public do not judge the 100m sprinter by their training results but you can be sure that other Olympians pay very close attention to how their competitors train, their techniques and use that as motivation and benchmarks to push themselves further and harder.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

We've discussed that, but it's quite hard to set exact rules as for what is allowed or not. Photo textures projected on a simple wall, WM terrains, Daniil's plugin.....

cyphyr

Quote from: Dune on December 08, 2017, 05:44:18 AM
We've discussed that, but it's quite hard to set exact rules as for what is allowed or not. Photo textures projected on a simple wall, WM terrains, Daniil's plugin.....
Yes, I can see now how this could become difficult to manage effectively and fairly.
Golly this is much harder than it appears.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

cyphyr

SUGGESTION

If it is decided to not allow work in progress threads then may I suggest that to fill the void between the start and end of the contest, and so that people arriving late will have some content to look at, that both mini tutorials relating to the topic are published and past examples (with authors permission) of cliff images are shown off for review (maybe even elicit a comment or two from the artist on what they did and what they may change now.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Hetzen

I think the judges should have a competition between themselves! And we can judge them. 8)

DannyG

Quote from: Hetzen on December 08, 2017, 06:51:12 AM
I think the judges should have a competition between themselves! And we can judge them. 8)

;D

Quote from: cyphyr on December 08, 2017, 06:15:43 AM
Golly this is much harder than it appears.

You got that right Richard
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

luvsmuzik

FIrst, let me say this is a user friendly forum. It provides a great source of information and example for those willing to search. I understand that with the rapid changes in this type of program, a manual would be nearly impossible to keep updated, except in a general form, which is already available with online tutorials etc.
Planetside offers three levels of using this program including a non expiring "free" version. I hope that never changes.
I understand business (or professional) use and the need to expose this product to the greatest audience of potential clients. A contest is a great source of exposure for older and recent developments in this product.
The day to day, sometimes hourly, progress that is made in the use of Terragen is amazing. Thanks to those willing to exhibit and share here. Trading recipes, formulas, diagrams...all part of it.
I won't be entering, but the WIP is (was) exciting to see and dissect. Either way, I will admire the entries, I hope all will be shown at some future date.

DannyG

Looking through this and some private emails I have received it seems that the majority of the community is in favor of the WIP, so WIP it is. We are finalizing the rules and other bits, you will be seeing the official announcement in the coming weeks. We will be officially starting the contest January 1st 2018
Please wait until Planetside creates NWDA Cliff Contest Childboard under the Image Sharing section before posting your WIP's.

*Lets get a good turn out guys and gals Cheers. 
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Urantia Jerry

I enjoyed seeing the WIP's, and I am glad for this decision.  Thank you :)

SILENCER

"I am not in favor of WIP during the contest.
Some people might feel "scared" by some users right at the beginning of the contest just by viewing the wip of some works."

I read that and all I could think is: Life is tough, buy a helmet. It's supposed to be a fun learning experience for everyone, so if you can't handle a friendly competition, how will you handle the real conflict that is constant in adult life. Maybe a snowflake contest next year to accommodate that?

I see some of the stuff here and I think "Wow, I never, ever would have thought of that. Nice work." Not "Give up and run away." I expect to get clobbered by people far more creative than myself here, and I've been in the VFX trade for nearly 20 years.

Photogammetry terrian should be excluded, but I'd say you're free to use imported plants, props, images, all of that as long as the terrain, water and sky are all generated within Terragen's procedural engine. Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. Sack up, experiment, and have fun.

DannyG

Quote from: SILENCER on December 12, 2017, 09:47:48 AM
"I am not in favor of WIP during the contest.
Some people might feel "scared" by some users right at the beginning of the contest just by viewing the wip of some works."

I read that and all I could think is: Life is tough, buy a helmet. It's supposed to be a fun learning experience for everyone, so if you can't handle a friendly competition, how will you handle the real conflict that is constant in adult life. Maybe a snowflake contest next year to accommodate that?

I see some of the stuff here and I think "Wow, I never, ever would have thought of that. Nice work." Not "Give up and run away." I expect to get clobbered by people far more creative than myself here, and I've been in the VFX trade for nearly 20 years.

Photogammetry terrian should be excluded, but I'd say you're free to use imported plants, props, images, all of that as long as the terrain, water and sky are all generated within Terragen's procedural engine. Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. Sack up, experiment, and have fun.

Silencer,
  I am not sure how long you have been around the PS forums, maybe you have been lurking for a while or operating under another profile, it doesn't matter either way. If you are new, let me give you a bit of history about these challenges, People have gotten spooked/deterred by WIP's threads and tend not to put in days or weeks of work into a challenge they feel they have no chance of winning. That was the intention of omitting the WIP's. That's it .. No one said anything about people running away from life or any other psychiatric analysis you have written above. I think you are way out in Leftfield with all that however you are entitled to your opinion. I look forward to your involvement once we get going.

As with other NWDA Contests detailed rules will be laid out by NWDA once we kick off. It looks like around January 1st for the official start. (We might start the WIP's a bit earlier)

Thank you for your interest   

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Are we going to be allowed to use other Apps like World Machine to help out with initial terrain forms?  Or plugins like Classic Erosion?

Also, are there different categories (multiple winners) or just one winner in the end?

Not meaning to complicate things, but it might be cool to have a couple categories, so you could have a category for "Pure Terragen" which means no additional 3rd party plugins, or apps like WM, and another category that's "Anything Goes".  Just a thought...

Derek

DannyG

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on December 12, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
Are we going to be allowed to use other Apps like World Machine to help out with initial terrain forms?  Or plugins like Classic Erosion?

Also, are there different categories (multiple winners) or just one winner in the end?

Not meaning to complicate things, but it might be cool to have a couple categories, so you could have a category for "Pure Terragen" which means no additional 3rd party plugins, or apps like WM, and another category that's "Anything Goes".  Just a thought...

Derek

3rd party terrain generators as well as Daniil's erosion will be allowed. There will not be multiple categories. One challenge. Again detailed rules will be laid out soon.
Cheers
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Ariel DK

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 07, 2017, 11:48:41 AM

Indeed, time constraints are often the breaking point for folks who unlike myself have to still go to work every day and it's often hard to find the time in a 'limited time' comp.

absolutely agree...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?