NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge Participation Poll

Started by DannyG, November 28, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in participating in NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge "Cliffs"?

I am Definitely Interested .. When can We Start
19 (52.8%)
I am interested, but I am not 100% certain I have the time
13 (36.1%)
I am interested, but I am not happy with the Theme
2 (5.6%)
Thank you, but I am not interested
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: December 31, 2017, 07:31:45 PM

jaf

Just some thoughts ......
Why can't there be two types of theme challenges.  Like this:

1.  Restricted.  Cliffs -- submit  tgd and image files that generate your cliff and make the tgd available to all the forum members.  I believe this would filter out objects that aren't part of the Terragen package, like World Machine terrains, xFrog vegetation, etc.  Anyone could download the tgd and try to render it and not get "file not found" errors (the tgd submission should state the Terragen version.)

2. Open: Anything goes -- contestants can use purchased or self generated files (models.)

Danny could spell this out in the rules (restricted or open.)  I guess, in this case, it would be "a cliff(s) or cliffs scene -- restricted or open.

Those restricted tgd's would be a nice learning asset!

I have a question about prizes.  Is it legal to submit a scene with a purchased item, say a tree, that doesn't have a commercial license (*and win a prize?)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

AndyWelder

QuoteIs it legal to submit a scene with a purchased item, say a tree, that doesn't have a commercial license (*and win a prize?)
Oooh yeah, legal nitpicking!  ;D Would be interesting to know the answer because lots of the models I use don't have a commercial license so this would restrict me in my choices of object ::)
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

DannyG

Quote from: jaf on December 28, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
Just some thoughts ......
Why can't there be two types of theme challenges.  Like this:

1.  Restricted.  Cliffs -- submit  tgd and image files that generate your cliff and make the tgd available to all the forum members.  I believe this would filter out objects that aren't part of the Terragen package, like World Machine terrains, xFrog vegetation, etc.  Anyone could download the tgd and try to render it and not get "file not found" errors (the tgd submission should state the Terragen version.)

2. Open: Anything goes -- contestants can use purchased or self generated files (models.)

Danny could spell this out in the rules (restricted or open.)  I guess, in this case, it would be "a cliff(s) or cliffs scene -- restricted or open.

Those restricted tgd's would be a nice learning asset!

I have a question about prizes.  Is it legal to submit a scene with a purchased item, say a tree, that doesn't have a commercial license (*and win a prize?)

Hey Jaf, The rules have already been determined internally and will be laid out in detail once we start. I will tell you so you can get started if you like is that your main Cliff or Cliffs must be Terragen Created. This is a Terragen contest. The use of other assets such as 3dscans ZBrush/WMachine etc will be allowed as supporting objects and details only ex. Distant Mountains or ground clutter.... etc. I feel it will be limiting to omit standard modern VFX tools completely. If an entry comes into question, just like past challenges we will ask the contestant to submit the Gathered Project for review. 

*Your question has been asked on previous challenges and was determined, unfortunately that was a few years ago so I will have to research the contest threads to give you a firm none conflicting answer on that. I remember it was a bit of an issue at the time. I will have that info by the time we post the rules.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

I'd say you're not sharing the tree and a contest is not a commercial thing.

DannyG

I looked into this you CAN use foliage that you don't have the commercial rights to.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

jaf

(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

DannyG

You're welcome Jaf
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

AndyWelder

Quote from: Danny on December 12, 2017, 11:45:31 AM
As with other NWDA Contests detailed rules will be laid out by NWDA once we kick off. It looks like around January 1st for the official start. (We might start the WIP's a bit earlier)
And...? Did I miss something, am I looking at the wrong places? Did see nothing yet... And those horses are very hard to control with a couple of WIP's on the drawing board!
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Artice-3d

Maybe it's time to me to take a shot  8) ;) ;D

DannyG

Good news, we will be kicking things off in a day or 2.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com