NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge Participation Poll

Started by DannyG, November 28, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in participating in NWDA's 2018 Theme Challenge "Cliffs"?

I am Definitely Interested .. When can We Start
19 (52.8%)
I am interested, but I am not 100% certain I have the time
13 (36.1%)
I am interested, but I am not happy with the Theme
2 (5.6%)
Thank you, but I am not interested
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: December 31, 2017, 07:31:45 PM

cyphyr

Really ? !
I'm sure you have a fuller picture of how the challenge is perceived but that is a shame.
Even when I have not partaken I always enjoyed seeing peoples work improve and develop throughout a challenge.
It was also nice to see people helping each other.
I'm surprised it would deter people, I would have thought the opposite.

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

How long do these challenges usually last?  Like Bobby, I'm interested as a learning experience.  ;)

Dune

Usually a few months. It's not a speed challenge, luckily  ;)

SILENCER

zaxxon

Sounds like a fun challenge. No WIP's takes a lot of the interest away however.

KlausK

@Danny

I really can`t follow your arguments not allowing WIP.
If it is not a must, every participant would be free to choose wether she or he wants to show WIP pictures or not.
In my view I am quite confident to guess who will likely be on the podium. Just browse the Image Sharing section.
My "Awe-factor" overall is quite high regarding the work which is posted here anyways.
That is why I am quite sure for most people  - as it is for me - it is less a question of standing a chance or not to win
the contest to decide wether to participate or not. If the numbers speak in your favour afterwards I stand corrected :)
As has being mentioned in previous posts for many watching the pictures evolve over time is a big plus (learning experience).
And like others said I never felt intimidated by how good the shown pieces were. On the contrary, actually.
Because especially the TG forum "gurus" never ever do hold back with their knowledge and helpful tips.
But what I really dislike about the decision made is this: Even if it is not where you aimed at with your decision from my point
of view this is introducing some sort of "stiff" competition which does not reflect the way this forum works, I think. (..)

hm, to cut a long story short: in my mind this is not leading to the result you want. I don`t like it.
But, of course NWDA is the Master of the Game and sets the rules. I know and accept that.

Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

I was in favor of WIP's, but there's something to be said for both, and I will accomodate to the majority of us NWDA-guys. If any of the potential participants should have ideas, why not ventilate them.... (but in the end it's Danny's baby  ;) he does all the work)

Kevin F

I'm in for it!
As for WIP's I'm in favour so long as non of the judges comment or give advice/opinions on the entries. Such comments should come from the other contestants.

DannyG

Klaus,
   I respect your view point, you have been around for years. Understand that every decision made we will have members that will have uposing opinions.  It's always a balancing act. That's said if more members are in favor for WIP thread we can certainly revisit it.
Going by the past 2 challenges that had WIPs we had a max of 25 entries. We need to sort that out. That's my way to switch things up.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kevin F on December 04, 2017, 07:05:28 AM
I'm in for it!
As for WIP's I'm in favour so long as non of the judges comment or give advice/opinions on the entries. Such comments should come from the other contestants.

Same here on the WIPs as I always learn a lot from them; but also ditto on it's Danny's show so I'll go with his flow.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Intimidated? Yes, of course. Will that deter me from participating? No, it's not like there will be public shaming for the worst submissions :)

Want to enliven the community and spark something? Let people share their projects and improve while receiving feedback. Just my opinion.

I'm in regardless.

folder

Interested yes. I have been out for 7 months, falls, 2 mlnor heart attacks,2 broke arm bones in bone, 6 months in rehab on the mend now. This challenge has starting to research cliffs on net and here. Thank

bobbystahr

Quote from: folder on December 06, 2017, 04:53:39 PM
Interested yes. I have been out for 7 months, falls, 2 mlnor heart attacks,2 broke arm bones in bone, 6 months in rehab on the mend now. This challenge has starting to research cliffs on net and here. Thank

Whew, glad y made it back...scary stuff, be well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cyphyr

Another valuable aspect of having WIP is that they will keep the contest "live" on web search engines. Having pages constantly updated throughout the two/three month duration of the contest means that there will always be something new for arrivals to the contest to see.

Other wise there will be an announcement of the contest, a break, and then the announcement of winners.

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

DannyG

This all sounds great, but if someone can explain to me why the previous 2 challenges with WIP threads had only 20 -25 entries with prize packages of over 6 grand. There are far more Terragen users than that. Something needs to be changed up. Thoughts?
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram