Render geodatas from The Netherlands?

Started by janeclara, November 29, 2017, 08:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janeclara

Hello,

I am new here, and I have to admit and don't know a lot about the software, or about geodatas: I am an art student, and, for a project, I would like to render real terrain from The Netherlands but, after watching hours of tutorials and trying to understand the many websites related to open geodata (and for that this forum has been very helpful!), I am stil unable to do what I want to do.
Actually, I am not even sure it is possible.

I was able to retrieve DEM files (from the Earth Explorer I believe) but when I load them in Terragen, nothing appears (even when I check "Georeference").
Is there anything else I can do or try?

Thank you (and sorry if similar subjects have been already discussed here, but I couldn't find anything to help yet!)

Roberts

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It could be that the loaded terrain actually is appearing, but not where you are looking :-) By default the camera starts sitting at the apex (North Pole) of the planet. If you're georeferencing a terrain of the Netherlands it will not be visible up there. Try this and see if it helps:

Go to your loaded terrain node and copy any of the corner coordinates of the terrain (right click and choose copy coordinates).

Then go to your planet node and paste the coordinates into where the planet's apex coordinates are.

Can you see the terrain now? If it was successful you should see a bounding box around your loaded terrain and also hopefully some terrain features.

Let us know if it works and don't hesitate to ask any other questions!

Regards

Robert

Dune

Another Dutchy, welcome indeed. Hope you get hooked to Terragen  ;)

Where did you find those Dutch terrain data? Are they any good in terms of detail? The only place I know to get any height information is AHN, and they don't have DEM's.

janeclara

Hi,

Thanks Roberts for your fast answer, I am able to see it now! It is really faint, but I think that is because of the quality of my file maybe... (or the fact that the Netherlands is a very flat land!)

And Dune, I found them on Earth Explorer if I can recall well, as ADER Global DEM. I don't think they have good details, but so far for me it is already a good result, as I am really new to this all thing of geodata and Terragen :)
I also looked through the AHN website, but it is still a bit difficult for me to understand, as I don't speak Dutch myself!

Cheers!

Dune

Ah, I thought you were Dutch and lived here. Thanks anyway. I found the site and downloaded a test dem, just have to see what it yields...

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Don't think so, it's only for 'internals':
QuoteThis page and download service is provided as a convenience for staff and students of the department Geoscience and Remote Sensing of the Delft University of Technology only
I do have some contacts, but don't want to ask them for height data that don't concern their companies too much. Straight downloads would be much easier. Thanks Richard.