Turning River

Started by cyphyr, December 01, 2017, 04:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

This was an attempt to copy an image that I really liked. Kind of successful and kind of not. I wasn't trying to do a direct copy but rather the sense and feel of the original.

Charlotte Gibb is a talented and inspirational landscape photographer. Do check out her work.
Below is a link to the image I was referencing.
http://www.charlottegibb.com/#/gallery/recently-added/canadian-rockies-storms-a-comin/

This has been made of two Terragen renders with and without cloud so I could get some shape to the otherwise quite "flat" trees and bushes. I also used the Render Elements to work on the cloud by isolating it with its alpha mask and smoothing out its noise.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

otakar

Oh, I like this. Interesting idea to combine two renders like that. The clouds came out really nicely!

fleetwood

Very nice. I also think the upper left and middle area could stand alone as its own render.

zaxxon

A beautiful and professional level render. Kudos on the comp work as well!

Dune

Great work, the clouds covering those hills are awesome. I also like the subtle sandbars, and distribution of vegetation. I do think the shrub needs a little less translucency though. And thanks for the link, she's made some quite stunning photo's.

mhaze

bobbystahr

Aaah even more better here...a truly remarkable capture of a feel...very well done. Is the main tree pop the Grand Fir? If not what?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cyphyr

Thank you everyone :)

Well spotted Bobby, yes the main pop is Grand Fir but also White Fir, Douglass Fir and Incense Cedar.
I agree about the shrub translucency Ulco, I can never get it quite right if it's in shadow. Always seems "flat". I don't have a good solution yet.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Quote from: cyphyr on December 03, 2017, 07:07:05 AM
Thank you everyone :)

Well spotted Bobby, yes the main pop is Grand Fir but also White Fir, Douglass Fir and Incense Cedar.
I agree about the shrub translucency Ulco, I can never get it quite right if it's in shadow. Always seems "flat". I don't have a good solution yet.

Thanks Richard...I think the translucency of the shrubbery adds to the mystical feel myself....they sorta 'glow'. Don't have a Douglas fir, guess that was a purchase as all my veg are freebies...sadly, much better res on paid product.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I agree that it's often hard to get translucency right, especially in shadows. I often lower to maybe 0.2-0.3 without any mask, but also decrease opacity to 0.6, as that helps with more light between the leaves.