Displace-able Plane Object

Started by luvsmuzik, December 08, 2017, 08:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Let it be said, after years of trying to add a plane to my scenes, transforming the y co-ord to at least 0.1 does help  :o  FINALLY! Rant over :)

N-drju

Plane object is very useful as a mask and "bedrock" for some options. :) You just need to get used to vector coordinates. Glad it works for you.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

Thanks N-drju!  I forgot a plane did not really have a "thickness" Had I not put a water shader with a power fractal hooked on this one, I never would have seen this one either. Yes, I see this is useful for many things when set a true 0,0,0, :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on December 08, 2017, 01:54:28 PM
Thanks N-drju!  I forgot a plane did not really have a "thickness" Had I not put a water shader with a power fractal hooked on this one, I never would have seen this one either. Yes, I see this is useful for many things when set a true 0,0,0, :)
I'm currently working on a desert scene where I have a very  smooth.almost noiseless PF making dunes displaced onto a plane then then sunk below the base TG surface for instant random sand mounds...will post later when I get a render

DONE

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23918.new.html#new
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Aaah, yes. Nice work Bobby. Been thinking awhile ago about the same thing... But using a whole damn second planet for the same effect. ;D

And yes, native planes ("plains"? what's the correct wording? :D) are very efficient and render-friendly for masking water. I think I even made some calculations in my thread elsewhere not so long ago? ???
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on December 09, 2017, 04:35:51 AM
Aaah, yes. Nice work Bobby. Been thinking awhile ago about the same thing... But using a whole damn second planet for the same effect. ;D

And yes, native planes ("plains"? what's the correct wording? :D) are very efficient and render-friendly for masking water. I think I even made some calculations in my thread elsewhere not so long ago? ???

Thanks, was sorta inspired by luvsmuzik's post
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on December 09, 2017, 04:35:51 AM

And yes, native planes ("plains"? what's the correct wording?

The Plane is a 3D object and a Plain is geographic; or plain = ordinary...English is a screwy language even to native speakers.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New