My student license is almost up, here's today's render!

Started by rupertbg, December 10, 2017, 03:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rupertbg

Hello,

This is my first post! I have 30 days left on my student license and thought I would share with you a product of what I have learnt in the time I had the license :)

I've been using Terragen on-and-off since v0.9 mostly with trial versions. It has become a life-long hobby and I have really enjoyed having the full featured v4 release! I  have only ever done 2 animations of about 100 frames each, since render time is so long..

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards,

Rupert

[attachimg=1]

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

Excellent work, I particularly like your rock colours.

luvsmuzik

Good one!
I too only do this as a hobby. I recently (after nearly 20 years of using Terragen free) purchased the Creative version. I like doing the animations too. What I am doing, as I learn, is set up a small animation at 720 x 450 or so...(which really views quite nicely on a large flat screen tv). This I render in downtime setting a frame range or pausing while then I can play away on another project when the animation is not rendering. So far I have not set the house on fire by melting my unit.

Dune

Very good work, I agree with all said, but would like to add that it would be a pity if you'd not purchase a full version. We certainly can use input/posts like yours.

fleetwood

Nicely done. Hope you will be able to show more of your work.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 10, 2017, 10:04:29 AM
Very good work, I agree with all said, but would like to add that it would be a pity if you'd not purchase a full version. We certainly can use input/posts like yours.

Agree with Dune on all counts, that's a photoreal render
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

That's indeed a very good image! The terrain is magnificent. You used Daniil's erosion plug in I assume?!
Some very minor crits: the big scree run in the middle of the image looks a bit too regular (although I know sometimes nature looks like that...), and the pine trees' distribution's minimum height could be a tad higher. I don't know, if it's right what I'm saying, but I have the vague feeling, that pine trees grow a little higher than the water line (?). What clouds did you use? V3 or V2? For this kind of clouds V2 would be enough I guess. It renders faster.

Get the full version, man!!!!!!  ;) ;) ;)

Oshyan

I agree, the terrain, scree, and talus are really fantastic, outstanding! I find the trees actually let down the image a bit though. I think perhaps they're one of the free models? If so I think I know that one and it has always been a little lacking in my view. I think perhaps a bit more translucency in the needle textures could help, and also higher antialiasing I would say. But really the trees are a minor part of the image and the work in it, I would say, and the rest is excellent.

- Oshyan

rupertbg

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys!!

You're right about the trees - I don't have a very good library of .tgo files. A lot of them are free ones that X-Frog have given away over the years.

One thing I would really like to play around with is figuring out how I can use a Distribution Shader against the shaders used inside the .tgo. For instance - to colour tree leaves based on their height or overlaying a fractal shader over all leaves across all trees for entropy...

I will be investing in a full copy for sure, and I think it's time I started posting more.. I have another render just finished now I will post up too

bobbystahr

Quote from: rupertbg on December 11, 2017, 11:10:48 PM
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys!!

One thing I would really like to play around with is figuring out how I can use a Distribution Shader against the shaders used inside the .tgo. For instance - to colour tree leaves based on their height or overlaying a fractal shader over all leaves across all trees for entropy...

In the veg internal network play around with setting up PFs Merged with the Default shader, you could try,(I've thought of this but never done it) masking the PF with a Distribution shader and play around with the Slope and/or Heights
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Indeed. There's an 'outside' way in the populator tabs to color vary pops, but I always work inside the object. Do use a transform shader between PF and color tab of the default shader set to world position for color/darkness variance. Distribution shader or surface shader can be used there too.

otakar

Nice! Just the minor issues as mentioned (trees in water).  Keep posting.