Curves for modeling

Started by luvsmuzik, December 14, 2017, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

All of you may have built in methods in your programs for making specific curves. I do not.

Here is a source for some fancy curves you might find interesting to grab an example. Read Online and wander around page 780 or so, just flip through. It is an old book from 1900 about typesetting. (So these font styles go waaaaaaaaaay back. ;D)

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24643635M/Desk_book_of_type_specimens_borders_ornaments_brass_rules_and_cuts

PabloMack

I've never heard the term "type specimen" being used in this way. To me it has always been used in biology or paleontology to refer to individual specimens for defining a biological species. There are different kinds of type specimens such as holotype, lectotype, syntype and paratype. In the publishing industry, I guess "type" here is used in the sense of "type writer" or "type face" to imply text, not in the biological sense as in a "kind" of something, though that may be the case as well. Sounds like another source of confusion.

KlausK

If you were a Graphic Designer or Typographer you would (have to) know all about it.
https://typography.guru/term/type-specimen-r112/
It is a little bit like a try-before-you-buy example sheet of  typeface. Design departments had tons of ring binders full of "type specimen" in the early days of publishing.
The term type (or letter) also means a single (physical ) letter of a typeface; which consists of various fonts. That is the fontfamily.
So the typeface is the unified design which has its variations in the form of a font. Typeface - Helvetica / Font - light, medium, bold, wide-narrow, roman-italic and so on. Very often the term font is used incorrectly when the term typeface should be used - thanks to Apple.

In Mineralogy it seems to be used as well (says wiki)...

But I guess you already looked up all that stuff by now ;)
Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

luvsmuzik

Remind me to tell you about my grandma working for a printing factory :)

Being the dingbat that I am, I once extruded most of the wingding characters in a modeling program, just for the fun of it. :o

N-drju

Hehe, most of it look familiar indeed. :) It's funny, and sad at the same time, that many small pieces of art are now reinvented and instantly marketed as the "inventive" property of Apple or some other company or developer while it's nothing more than patterns and creations of people who lived dozens of years ago.

This is a great resource you found. :) I have an affinity towards all sorts of oldies, so I'll definitely have a deeper look at it.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"