Create snow

Started by luvsmuzik, December 19, 2017, 06:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Found an add on to create snow for Blender, last release 12/03/2017. GitHub
https://github.com/3DMish/Blender-Add-ons-3DM-Snow

First trials are kind of crazy, but after an hour or so of experiments, I see that this can be used for lots of things.

A TG render and an update using the add on of an old Blender render using TG background sky.
TG tree snow tgc. on trees and 3DMish snow on house and fence.
Terrain purposely has snowdrifts.

N-drju

The snow on those trees looks very convincing. Was this made in Blender or from some clip file? I didn't quite catch that.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

Quote from: N-drju on December 19, 2017, 07:00:26 AM
The snow on those trees looks very convincing. Was this made in Blender or from some clip file? I didn't quite catch that.

Tree snow is from this clip  :)  I need to add the origin for it, but it is in several posts on this forum already.

I will post some images using the add on later today.

luvsmuzik

3DM Blender add on on all objects here.

The tree is just a Blender sapling generated tree. The hexagonal shaped leaves are not masked, rather just white shader applied.

The clumps of snow on the tree are from the create snow add on.
The fallen log also has clumps, that I am not fond of yet, but I see that this clumping could be used as moss or a deviation from just a plain bark system.
The fence has a simple application of snow adhering to the top edges, which I quite like.

N-drju

Heh, I recognize this clipfile. I used a very similar one to make snow on my trees, albeit with no displacement at all, I admit. Just a flat color for distance usage. Though it looked fairly well in a closeup too.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

Here I put the create snow (Blender add on) on a fir tree. The trick I found was to use the trunk rather than the leaves for the snow, in this case. This gave me a faster application and smaller file size.

Dune's simple road setup winding through there.

bobbystahr

Nice, you nailed that....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

If you have Blender, I find this plugin very useful. :) Link still active this morning.

https://github.com/3DMish/Blender-Add-ons-3DM-Snow

DocCharly65

mhaze

luvsmuzik

So ever playing with masking, I used a PF for an opacity mask on the solid snowy roof to breakup the snow. The plugin creates a separate material shader for the snow layer. My PF scale was probably too big, but happy to know masking worked. :)

Applied snow to barrel tgo using smaller increments on each rib for a sort of directional adhesion of the snow.

SSS pathway needs some help later......snowblind working on this scene.  :)

WAS

Might have to give this a try on the fir objects I have from AP. I still need to really give Blender a chance. :P

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist