Terragen TOP TIPS

Started by cyphyr, September 23, 2007, 12:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Well, I wrote the documentation so many of my tips are in there. ;) But here are a few that seem to come up quite often still.

1: Well, the first one has to be to read the documentation that's available already. These forums are a tremendous resource, but you pick up information piecemeal, bit-by-bit, and it's not really designed to give you an overview of things to get you going quickly. That's exactly what the documentation is for. If you're just starting out, the documentation area should be your first visit. The documentation will be expanded and improved in the future as well, so that's something to look forward to.

2: The "Ray-traced Shadows" options in the Atmosphere and Cloud Quality tabs are very seldom necessary and add tremendous amounts of render time. You should only use them if you need shadows to be cast *from terrain* onto/into your clouds/atmosphere, respectively. In most cases this is not going to happen. Even in cases where it does happen it's often either not desirable or the render time increase simply isn't worth it. The only exception currently (which should be fixed for the final release anyway, making this workaround unnecessary) is the need to use Ray-traced Shadows for the atmosphere when the sun is behind terrain - the sun glow will show through the terrain due to a bug.

3: When in doubt, update your graphics card driver and/or all other system drivers. Make sure you're as up-to-date as possible before assuming a problem is in the software program you're using (TG2 or otherwise). If you do encounter a consistent problem try other similar applications to see if it is TG2 only, or if it is a more general problem. For example TG2 uses OpenGL for several display functions, so if you're having display issues try another OpenGL application such as Blender. If there are problems there too, it's probably an overall issue with your system or drivers, rather than a TG2-specific thing.

- Oshyan

Seth

hey guys ! any more tips since last time ? ^^

rcallicotte

One I'm finding is true beyond a shadow of a doubt -

Lower displacements are the foundation for the surfaces that follow.  To cut down on displacement fragmentation and just plain displacement ugliness, control the build up starting from the lowest displacement.  Displacement adds as the nodes with displacements are added.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Calico, true!

Else you can activate the smoothing, which is fun on lower values.

Seth

otakar

Superb thread! My top three have all been mentioned, here's some of my TOP 10 then ;)

1. When running out of memory (in a scene where you have not reached the limit), save your project, close and restart TG. From my experience, after a few renders, TG does not want to give memory back, so this becomes necessary rather frequently.

2. Don't be afraid to experiment with lighting. This may be obvious, but the very same scene at mid-day will look totally transformed with the sun below the horizon. Or add multiple light sources, also makes for wondrous effects...

3. Learn to work in the node network. At times it's much faster than trying to click through the shaders to find that powerfractal that needs tweaking - and along with this, rename your nodes from the defaults, it's hard to remember what Surface layer 01_1_1 was for :)

MF_Erwan

Quote from: Oshyan on September 25, 2007, 03:54:14 PM
2: The "Ray-traced Shadows" options in the Atmosphere and Cloud Quality tabs are very seldom necessary and add tremendous amounts of render time. You should only use them if you need shadows to be cast *from terrain* onto/into your clouds/atmosphere, respectively. In most cases this is not going to happen. Even in cases where it does happen it's often either not desirable or the render time increase simply isn't worth it. The only exception currently (which should be fixed for the final release anyway, making this workaround unnecessary) is the need to use Ray-traced Shadows for the atmosphere when the sun is behind terrain - the sun glow will show through the terrain due to a bug.

What about the "Do ray-traced shadows" option in the "extra" tab of "Renderers" menu? Same thing?

Erwan

Oshyan

Quote from: elegac on January 16, 2009, 04:36:24 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on September 25, 2007, 03:54:14 PM

What about the "Do ray-traced shadows" option in the "extra" tab of "Renderers" menu? Same thing?

Erwan
No, that setting controls overall shadow rendering and is enabled by default. It should not normally be disabled.

- Oshyan

archonforest

This is AWESOME!! :D
How about to continue this cool topic?????
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

No problem. I got one that I think of:
1. Name your nodes cryptically according to what they do. Saves a lot of time finding out what the heck it was that they were there for, after adding another hundred or so. Especially handy of you come back to a scene after a year or so.

mhaze

Use the null shader to simplify your node mess!

If you have two monitors use them, if not, buy another monitor.

Build your landscape in grey tones first.

Use simple shape shader and displacable objects to consruct your landscape

The random button is your friend, use it!

It's all about masking - pfs, sss, and surface/distribution shaders

That little blue square at thetop right - click on it helps you visulize what's goin on!

otakar

Old thread, but a good one...

Here's one that someone might find useful. When working with populations most of the time you want objects to sit on the ground. When you have displacements down the chain after the Compute Terrain node you need to remember where those displacements are. So, to simplify things, I always create a surface layer, name it something like 'a test layer' and stick it at the bottom of the shaders group. Then I only need to remember to anchor each population to this node. I use 'a test layer' to test coverage of various masks as well, but disable it after each test.

bigben

* There's a mask for that  ;)
* Mix colours using low values for coverage and fractal breakup rather than overlay different shades of the same colour. Start with a dark colour and overlay lighter colours using decreasing values for coverage, breakup and breakup shader scale (sample green attached)

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

jdent02

When using fractals for terrain, a quick way of seeing a greyscale map of where things will go is to plug the generator node for the terrain into the planet's final surface shader.  This way you can see on the actual surface where hills and mountains will appear (this is a great way to intuitively set lead in distance and feature scale for what you need), and it previews much faster due to there being no displacement.  Works great for making global cloud formations when viewed from space too.

Major downside is that you have to remember to reset all the node connections before the final render to make sure everything looks right.