Terragen TOP TIPS

Started by cyphyr, September 23, 2007, 12:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Sometimes when i look at a node window i forget where it is in the node network.
Especially on a big project with many nodes it happens more.
I wish when i double click on a node window that the node network would jump to the node directly.
Not sure if there is an option for that.
A basic workaround is that when you go in the internal network of the node and then click "Up level" at the left side.
The node network jumps right where that node is and shows that node right in the middle .

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on August 13, 2014, 11:35:57 PM

Sometimes when i look at a node window i forget where it is in the node network.
Especially on a big project with many nodes it happens more.
I wish when i double click on a node window that the node network would jump to the node directly.
Not sure if there is an option for that.
A basic workaround is that when you go in the internal network of the node and then click "Up level" at the left side.
The node network jumps right where that node is and shows that node right in the middle .

the bottom of the 2 buttons should follow pressing the first and that should help
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

Strange that we can be looking at something always for years and somehow don't see what we should see. Thanks :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Kadri on August 15, 2014, 04:11:28 PM

Strange that we can be looking at something always for years and somehow don't see what we should see. Thanks :)
I often get that feeling when someone answers one of my queries...s'normal.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

That's how biology works, search pattern (like when great tits search for caterpillars, they won't easily notice a moth); you've got a matrix in your head of what you want/need to see and all/most else keeps out of your brain. I musta dmit I never noticed that lower link...  :P

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on August 16, 2014, 02:52:04 AM
That's how biology works, search pattern (like when great tits search for caterpillars, they won't easily notice a moth); you've got a matrix in your head of what you want/need to see and all/most else keeps out of your brain. I musta dmit I never noticed that lower link...  :P

took me a few years as well Ulco....gotta pay more attention is my problem as I looked at it and said hmmm, handy and then forgot about it when I needed it...sigh...pot-heimers I fear....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

digitalguru

here's mine...

1. Scale - as mentioned in some of the previous posts, scale is very important and easily overlooked - particularly in relation to fractal textures and haze settings. I always have a human figure .obj to terragen scale ready to drop into a scene - immediately gives an indication of a real sense of scale.

2. Camera animations - I often see a great looking scene ruined by a camera move that's impossible in the real world. In fact I'm at work looking at one right now :-) Try to think of the physics of the camera - is it possible? Imagine your camera is on a crane or a dolly and try and think the limitations they may impose on a camera move. I animate my camera in Maya, and I have a script that tells me how fast my camera is moving in miles or kilometres per hour - that way I can keep the animation real and is one less thing that might "take you out of the scene".

3. One handy thing I found (and this might just apply to Maya) is if you import an object from Maya and want to texture it using procedural shaders in Terragen - you need to delete its UVs.

j meyer

Quote from: digitalguru on August 20, 2014, 09:46:15 AM
3.  .....want to texture it using procedural shaders in Terragen - you need to delete its UVs.

Or use a transform shader set to use world space.

swissAdA

Quote from: j meyer on August 20, 2014, 01:16:47 PM

Or use a transform shader set to use world space.

Great idea!
P.S. My text is always translated with Google  http://swissada.deviantart.com/

digitalguru

excellent - thanks for the tip!