NWDA's Cliff Theme Challenge 20% off Sale

Started by DannyG, December 27, 2017, 01:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

NWDA's Cliff Theme Challenge will be kicking off just after the New Year. Stop by the shop and grab some base file to tweak for your own entry.
ENTER COUPON CODE CLIFF2018 FOR 20% OFF the entire store. Offer starts now and ends 01/03/2018
http://www.nwdastore.com/
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

archonforest

Grab some file to tweak for entry?  :o :o

So I can go to a 3D shop buy some terrain and enter the challenge and might win? It cannot be right. How can someone enter with another s creation and take the prize?? Even if I tweak a bit that file is still not my creation. Pls clarify.   
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DannyG

Quote from: archonforest on December 27, 2017, 01:59:11 PM
Grab some file to tweak for entry?  :o :o

So I can go to a 3D shop buy some terrain and enter the challenge and might win? It cannot be right. How can someone enter with another s creation and take the prize?? Even if I tweak a bit that file is still not my creation. Pls clarify.

Can you enter a NWDA product as your entry NO, can you use an NWDA base file and rework it as an entry yes. Can you go and buy a terrain from another shop and enter it.. you shouldn't, but with all the resources on the web how would I or anyone else police that? That's not realistic to think that anyone running a contest would have the resources to do that. Look at Vue's Competitions 80% of the entries are created using purchased materials, presets, terrains etc. We will do my best to keep it as pure as possible, this is not my first time doing this. This has been allowed for ALL previous challenges. Look at Roadside or Iceland's entries they all have entries with NWDA products. This is not anything new. AGAIN Please wait until the challenge rules are posted before asking questions that will most likely be answered in the Contest post
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

archonforest

WOW! I am pretty shocked. People used purchased materials for the Iceland challenge?? I was sweating bullets to create something from that contest from zero and at the end I did not enter as I saw other people renders looked much better than mine. But perhaps I was just looking a big cheat instead of honest TG work? Maybe...maybe not...dunno now...but....ehh whatever...guess I am just to naive. :-X

Otherwise thx for the answer.  :)

Oshyan

All those dang photographers cheat even harder, just taking pictures of what nature has created for them. Lazy bums! Sheesh. :D

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on December 27, 2017, 06:34:25 PM
All those dang photographers cheat even harder, just taking pictures of what nature has created for them. Lazy bums! Sheesh. :D

- Oshyan

ha ha ha ha
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

Quote from: archonforest on December 27, 2017, 03:16:13 PM
WOW! I am pretty shocked. People used purchased materials for the Iceland challenge?? I was sweating bullets to create something from that contest from zero and at the end I did not enter as I saw other people renders looked much better than mine. But perhaps I was just looking a big cheat instead of honest TG work? Maybe...maybe not...dunno now...but....ehh whatever...guess I am just to naive. :-X

Well NWDA challenges have been going for 7 years and many entries have used NWDA content. I am not sure how this would be so shocking to you.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

archonforest

Quote from: Danny on December 28, 2017, 05:37:13 PM
Quote from: archonforest on December 27, 2017, 03:16:13 PM

Well NWDA challenges have been going for 7 years and many entries have used NWDA content. I am not sure how this would be so shocking to you.

It is actually very simple. If its a TG challenge I would expect people using TG to create their "OWN" artwork and show how good they are. Buying elements that was done by someone else, modify it and tell people: Here is my TG art is simple cheating. Especially if the guy walks of with some prize. I can also buy a great terrain for lets say 100 bucks and nobody will be able to tell if I did that or not.  And because of this I might walk away with a 4000 bucks prize??? How is this okay?

Not to mention using VM to create a good looking erosion and use that in a TG contest? I think its not fair. As far as I know TG cannot really compete against the erosion that VM can produce. At least I did not see any render on the forum so far that would show the opposite.

A fair TG contest would not use anything else except TG so the contestants would have to show what they really know about TG and how good they can use it in order to create a winner picture.

DannyG

Yep I got what your saying. I am just surprised that you haven't noticed our products in any of our challenges, you are a very active member which we appreciate. I would assume that you would be able to pick these out rather easily. I was incorrect. Ok, Obviously we know what is a purchased item and what is not as it relates to Terragen items. If someone uses say Dunes Waterfall or one of Luc's Canyons as their cliff they will not just walk away with a prize as you are saying. A submission such as that would be rejected as this will be clarified in the rules when they are posted. I am assuming you saying VM means WM, as in World Machine. There will be restrictions on all 3rd party programs to keep this a Terragen challenge. Daniil's erosion WILL be allowed. Dude, Please wait until the rules are posted then you can decided if you are interested or not.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

archonforest

Quote from: Danny on December 29, 2017, 10:05:57 AM
Yep I got what your saying. I am just surprised that you haven't noticed our products in any of our challenges, you are a very active member which we appreciate. I would assume that you would be able to pick these out rather easily. I was incorrect. Ok, Obviously we know what is a purchased item and what is not as it relates to Terragen items. If someone uses say Dunes Waterfall or one of Luc's Canyons as their cliff they will not just walk away with a prize as you are saying. A submission such as that would be rejected as this will be clarified in the rules when they are posted. I am assuming you saying VM means WM, as in World Machine. There will be restrictions on all 3rd party programs to keep this a Terragen challenge. Daniil's erosion WILL be allowed. Dude, Please wait until the rules are posted then you can decided if you are interested or not.

Thx Danny for your answer. I understand.  :)

luvsmuzik

I think it is only fair to say that some of us have been around Terragen quite awhile. We have used it as a terrain generator with a slider system noise function and now the new and improved node system, which incorporates many options many of us did not quite "get".

We watched, read "how to", and experimented with file shares and tutorials. One must put into practical use knowledge gained. Discoveries then become common practice, old hat.

I think the judging will be fair myself. I am anxious to see the progress and incorporation of all techniques.

masonspappy

Quote from: luvsmuzik on December 29, 2017, 02:32:05 PM
... the new and improved node system, which incorporates many options many of us did not quite "get".
Blue nodes are evil and an abomination.

Dune

QuoteBlue nodes are evil and an abomination.
This is probably cynically meant  ??? Blue nodes are actually much simpler than the red nodes, which have much more unscrutinable 'evil' going on inside  ;) Especially the more plain blue nodes like 'add' and 'subtract' are very handy when it comes to mixing masks. In my work I often use masks for roads and waterways. If I need grass off those areas, I simply add these by blue node and mask a pf invertedly. Simple things like that....

René

I don't think it is possible to hold a competition that is a 100% fair. Some have a head start because they have more experience, are more talented, have more time, have faster machines or other resources, etc. The judging is also arbitrary because creativity is not exactly measurable.
I guess in the end, it comes down to it if you think it is worth taking part. :)

masonspappy

Quote from: Dune on December 30, 2017, 02:52:04 AM
QuoteBlue nodes are evil and an abomination.
This is probably cynically meant  ???
Very much so.  I've always had trouble grasping them and am surprised when I can get them to actually work.