cad nav trees...who knew

Started by bobbystahr, January 01, 2018, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Was looking about at cad.nav. and found some fairly nice trees; most are represented in this render. As a ground I used a population of a model from renderosity called stone mound I think and it sorta shows through in places. C&C welcome as always. oh yeah spme photo objects assembled in the 2nd render call log and shrooms...this was all done from Xmas eve to Newt's Ear eve.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

That is a pretty cool model. Did you try the translucency transparency trick on leaf shader? Dew drop clip might add a cool look too. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 02, 2018, 09:12:42 AM
That is a pretty cool model. Did you try the translucency transparency trick on leaf shader? Dew drop clip might add a cool look too. :)

yes indeed and I'm trying the same setup with all XFROG trees later as they tend to be higher resolution...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Mushrooms and the grass look great. I like it a lot. Very convincing and detailed addition for any render.

Unfortunately, the trees? Hmm, they look as if they were made by someone who never discovered opacity maps. ???
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on January 03, 2018, 01:47:15 AM
Mushrooms and the grass look great. I like it a lot. Very convincing and detailed addition for any render.

Unfortunately, the trees? Hmm, they look as if they were made by someone who never discovered opacity maps. ???

Yeah took me a while to get the app back that i used to separate them as they were all stacked apparently for a multi model dispersion technique TG doesn't possess.
what do you mean by
"they look as if they were made by someone who never discovered opacity maps."
They (opacity maps) are there and in addition I dialed in ,501 opacity in the opacity tab.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

It's just that the leaves on these... ferns (?) look like fan blades rather than leaves. It's a rectangle. Is it a real species or a generic plant?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

masonspappy

Quote from: N-drju on January 03, 2018, 02:25:05 AM
It's just that the leaves on these... ferns (?) look like fan blades rather than leaves. It's a rectangle. Is it a real species or a generic plant?
Some of them look like Queensland Fan palms

luvsmuzik

I have only seen palm trees when it comes to tropical vegetation but I think your experiment here works well. I like the elliptical shaped leaf on the one species and agree the fan shape is less to my liking. However, when mixed with other than all bright green vegetation I think these are all really doable.  Sometimes I use a color on my translucency to get a different color pop, like light peachy, even if I use a white sunlight. Give it a try sometime. I certainly would not trash that tree. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 03, 2018, 09:21:04 AM
I have only seen palm trees when it comes to tropical vegetation but I think your experiment here works well. I like the elliptical shaped leaf on the one species and agree the fan shape is less to my liking. However, when mixed with other than all bright green vegetation I think these are all really doable.  Sometimes I use a color on my translucency to get a different color pop, like light peachy, even if I use a white sunlight. Give it a try sometime. I certainly would not trash that tree. :)

heh heh, that is an unreliable technique for the colour blind...Oh I'm keeping all the trees and maybe I can create a better leaf map for that one. Any idea what find of palm it's supposed to be?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Hmm, okay, it looks like rhapidophyllum to me. You can even see the straight-cut leaves in this picture, but it's because this is a cultivated, trimmed tree. In wild it has natural, needle-shaped leaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapidophyllum#/media/File:Rhapidophyllum_hystrix.jpg

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on January 04, 2018, 04:30:32 AM
Hmm, okay, it looks like rhapidophyllum to me. You can even see the straight-cut leaves in this picture, but it's because this is a cultivated, trimmed tree. In wild it has natural, needle-shaped leaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapidophyllum#/media/File:Rhapidophyllum_hystrix.jpg

actually this is what the model is called so I typed it in, Mangrove Fan Palm
https://www.google.ca/search?q=mangrove+fan+palm&rlz=1C1CHZL_enCA715CA715&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi13rCaocDYAhUY92MKHQQgA-YQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=535&dpr=1.1
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Well then, spot on. These leaves, then, I bet were used for weaving stuff with those perfect leaves. (I am watching too many survivor shows  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: masonspappy on January 03, 2018, 05:02:09 AM
Quote from: N-drju on January 03, 2018, 02:25:05 AM
Some of them look like Queensland Fan palms

indeed, that is a very similar plant to this one which is a  Mangrove Fan Palm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New