Updated: What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Started by Oshyan, January 03, 2018, 01:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What operating systems do you use Terragen on?

Windows 10 64 Bit
35 (54.7%)
Windows 10 32 Bit
0 (0%)
Windows 8 64 Bit
4 (6.3%)
Windows 8 32 Bit
0 (0%)
Windows 7 64 Bit
21 (32.8%)
Windows 7 32 Bit
0 (0%)
Windows Vista 64 Bit
1 (1.6%)
Windows Vista 32 Bit
0 (0%)
Windows XP
1 (1.6%)
Other Windows Version (Specify in Reply to Thread)
0 (0%)
Mac OS X 10.13 "High Sierra"
9 (14.1%)
Mac OS X 10.12 "Sierra"
3 (4.7%)
Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"
3 (4.7%)
Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite"
0 (0%)
Mac OS X 10.9 "Mavericks"
0 (0%)
Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion"
0 (0%)
Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion"
0 (0%)
Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"
0 (0%)
Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"
0 (0%)
Mac OS X Older Version (Specify in Reply to Thread)
0 (0%)
Mac OS 9 (hopefully not)
0 (0%)
Linux (Render Node)
4 (6.3%)
Linux (Wine)
3 (4.7%)
Other (Specify in Reply to Thread)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Oshyan

It's been more than 7 years since our last operating system poll was done and lots of new options have come around. Let's see what everyone is running these days, shall we? Remember: this is only regarding the computer(s) you use Terragen on! Your HTPC doesn't count unless you also run TG on it. ;) You can be using any version of Terragen and respond to this poll. You can also vote more than once, for those of us with multiple computers (or multiple operating systems, e.g. dual boot!).

We had just under 150 respondents to the last one. Let's aim for 200 this time, eh? :D

- Oshyan

N-drju

So if I use two Win 8, should I vote twice? :)

What about XP and Mac where I still have a TG2 leftovers for rudimentary testing and experimentation? I think that would be too much though. :-\
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

If you only use one OS, you vote once, even if you have it on multiple machines. We're not really looking for a count of machines here so much as a count of people who use a given OS. So if you have two machines, one with Win 8 and one with Win 10, it would be good to know you use both. Knowing you use Win 10 on both is less valuable.

Up to you whether you want to count the older machines. If you do use them, it's a valid option, but if it's very, very seldom then probably not that useful.

- Oshyan

cyphyr

err I voted for the wrong one, meant to vote win 10 64bit, accidently clicked on vista 64bit. I am an idiot :(
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hetzen

Windows 10 64 bit. I can't say I've found much difference in performance between Win 7 and 10, except I guess Microsoft (burning eye of Sauron) can now read everything on my hard disks.

Dune

N-drju

I voted just once for Win 8 64. :)

Besides, I had no idea there's something like 32-bit Windows 10? ;D Sounds almost like a 64-bit Windows 3.1! ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

Richard, unfortunately we can't remove individual poll responses, but you should be able to edit yours? In any case we can just ignore that Vista vote, which is good. Nobody should run Vista. :D

Sad but true N-drju: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/42852/microsofts-windows-10-feature-32-bit-version/index.html

- Oshyan

digitalguru

QuoteI can't say I've found much difference in performance between Win 7 and 10, except I guess Microsoft (burning eye of Sauron) can now read everything on my hard disks.

I tried to stay away from Windows 10 on my new machine for that reason (and the look), but there are no Win 7 drivers for my mobo :(.

There are apps that can disable the telemetry and and I've found some themes that make Win 10 easier on the eye. Can't say it's a slicker experience over Windows 7 though.

Hetzen

Quote from: digitalguru on January 05, 2018, 07:43:00 AM
QuoteI can't say I've found much difference in performance between Win 7 and 10, except I guess Microsoft (burning eye of Sauron) can now read everything on my hard disks.

I tried to stay away from Windows 10 on my new machine for that reason (and the look), but there are no Win 7 drivers for my mobo :(.

There are apps that can disable the telemetry and and I've found some themes that make Win 10 easier on the eye. Can't say it's a slicker experience over Windows 7 though.

Yes I stayed with Win 7 as long as I could. But as Win 10 was free at the time and can get it very cheap these days, I switched over. To be fair, it's not been any different in terms of usage, I don't use the app or voice features and to be quite honest, there's nothing of value or incrimination on my computer to be snooped that wouldn't be lost in the internet statistical noise.

AndyWelder

@ N-drju: I'm a systems administrator who has to admit that my employer, not hampered by any knowledge regarding ICT, insisted on the use of WinX on the 50 or so old 32 bits laptops, commonly known as "bricks", that still are in use. The excuse was "uniformity"... And the board said it would be cheaper than replacement, so amen...
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

ajcgi

Quote from: Hetzen on January 03, 2018, 07:32:47 PM
Windows 10 64 bit. I can't say I've found much difference in performance between Win 7 and 10, except I guess Microsoft (burning eye of Sauron) can now read everything on my hard disks.

Burning eye of Sauron...  ;D

[edit] Oh and Win 10 at work, 7 and MacOS Sierra at home.

Hannes

Still using 7 64bit. When I bought this machine I had the choice between Win 7 or 8. So I decided 7. Whenever I will buy a new computer, I'll see what's available. At the moment I'm quite happy with Win 7.

raymoh

Please note: The newest macOS is now Mojave (for your poll) and I work with.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

Agura Nata

Quote from: Hannes on February 05, 2018, 09:21:31 AM
Still using 7 64bit. When I bought this machine I had the choice between Win 7 or 8. So I decided 7. Whenever I will buy a new computer, I'll see what's available. At the moment I'm quite happy with Win 7.

I agree with my friend!
"Live and Learn!"