Is this Intel patch going to bone Terragen peformance?

Started by Ethrieltd, January 04, 2018, 07:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethrieltd

After reading bout this and hearing of a between 5-30% performance decrease i was wondering about it's impact on Terragen in particular and on rendering/encoding in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/03/major-security-flaw-found-intel-processors-computers-windows-mac-os-linux

A 30%performance hit to those without bleeding edge machines is like being kicked back 10 years!

Oshyan

We don't expect it to have that big an impact on rendering performance. Terragen usually performs proportionally similar to other renderers (i.e. for a given comparison between two CPUs, if one CPU does x % better than the other on Renderer X, then we expect Terragen to generally perform similarly better on that CPU). You can see actual benchmarks before and after the patch here:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1554-meltdown-flaw-cpu-performance-windows/
Mostly minimal impact in real-world task loads, within margin of error.

- Oshyan

Ethrieltd

Good, good.

I'm i5 so a 30%reduction for me would be a big issue.Nice to see that it won't make a painful difference. I'd had visions of going back to 17 hour renders....

luvsmuzik

Yesterday I uninstalled a whole outdated Professional Office suite from my dinosaur with XP installed, thinking I would remove all the memory hogging stuff. I still have 3Gig to use on it, but it doesn't have an updated video card. I thought I would grab a Windows 7 or 8, but probably not? I have all these licenses and one unit that can handle newer code. (but does not have HD capability either) So just out of curiousity, probably not worth it to change the video card in the dinosaur? Is there such a thing as portable video card? It does not handle Terragen 2 very well and I thought about loading TG4 just to see, but.....animations from scripts 400x350, due to upload restrictions by my ISP eons ago...sigh... >:(

archonforest

My TG PC is not on the net whatsoever so this is not an issue for me. Using a pro Win 7 and never updated it thus I wont install this new patch either since everything work just perfect.

Otherwise I think this issue is more for servers and not really for individual users.... Guess if your PC is always online u might have a chance to being hacked?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

We do not recommend using Terragen 4 on machines with less than 4GB of RAM, and TG4 also requires a 64 bit operating system.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Oh thanks Archon and Oshyan. Useful to know. I needed to clean that old one since I have the newer programs anyhow. So many apps now do what programs used to, but it is like a kid leaves home or something when you uninstall all of those old favorites, haha.  Or like some museum quality find and you think, I used to have one of those....