I'm gonna be blunt here. I haven't got a clue about "intersect underlying".

Started by Jgone, January 07, 2018, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgone

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 09, 2018, 01:35:29 PM
Okay, if I were to use intersect underlying here....I would favor rises and limit slope accordingly, with say 50-60 degree minimum.... Set altitude accordingly to range, using minimum (about half or third the maximum altitude of your terrain, leaving maximum set at default if you want snow caps. That way the snow layer should adhere to the edge of your slope....and your slope angle would be similar to...///////

If you want the snow to cradle in the depressions only......do the opposite, sort of.... :)

If you are using a solid snow image mask this should work fine. If you are using an alpha type mask, (that looks like rivers branching out from solid white areas), your snow will not be even if you use restraints.  If you want to use that type of mask, you usually only have to limit altitude and stretch on a 1:1 ratio over terrrain.

Thanks for the insight ! I'm using an alpha type mask then (river branching out from solid white areas is a good description :D).

Quote from: N-drju on January 09, 2018, 03:50:19 PM
I'd go even further than that. Why don't you get rid of this item altogether and mask the snow with PF. This will give you much better control of the snow coverage. No need to complicate.

Oh yeah, and luvsmuzik is right - favor depressions option is very handy if you want to create beds / bowls of snow, stones etc. Actually, it works pretty good as for something that simple.

I have doodled around with just using surface layers and power fractal as the color function and with just pf that has slope + altitude tweaks but i don't think it looks quite as good then. Or perhaps i'm missing something obvious. Ill give the simpler method you suggested one more super serious go !

luvsmuzik

Or....even use the erosion plugin and connect the maps....but that is another whole ball game n'est pas? :)

N-drju

Mais oui. Erosion plugin effectively solves the problem. It's a pity though that the erosion heightfield operator cannot be used on anything but heightfield displacement.

In my renders, I got used to almost complete snow coverage, so I usually just delete and cancel any masks that produce empty spots. ;) Then it's all white. I'm not sure but I just got an impression that this is what you want Jgone.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

You could try starting with the snow coverage displacement, and then mask in the rock elements by height (not on highest tops) and randomness, and give that area some additional rocky displacements.