Starfield background

Started by james adamson, February 03, 2020, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james adamson

Hi all.
I have created a starfield for my scene and after looking at quite a few of the threads I am still a bit unsure of the best way to apply this to my scene.
At the moment I have 16k exr created in nuke. What puzzles me is why in the image map shader you can set it to linear but you can not in the default shader which seems to automatically linearise an already linear image. 
So at the moment I am putting the image into an image map shader in which I have also set the projection to through the render camera. I have set the data to linear.
Then I have the image map shader feeding into the luminosity function of the default shader. Two things. One. The image seems very soft. And two I would like to be able to precisely place the image on the background sphere.
Thanks in advance.
James.

Hannes

The background is more or less a giant sphere around the scene. Use your image map shader, set it to spherical mapping (not "through camera"!) and check repeat (x and y). Adjust the size of the image map until it looks good, and use it as you already did.

james adamson

Hannes