NWDA's TERRAGEN THEME CHALLENGE "CLIFF"

Started by DannyG, January 09, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Good luck Jon, though you probably don't need it  :P Curious what you'll come up with....

agent unawares

With the main cliff needing to be created in Terragen, this is just the geometry, right? We can use imported materials on it?

DannyG

Imported materials such as image maps as textures yes, nothing more. Main displacements must be made with Terragen
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

The rules didn't touch what I've been working on. I have a huge collection of Terragen 0.9  .ter files and in uninspired or bored moments like my current state, I load one as a base and in the situation I'm talking about, totally destroy it with first the erosion plugin and then a few Fractal Warp shaders before I start work on the textures and extra displacements. Should I continue as it's looking good.
Thanks for your patience.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 12, 2018, 03:36:15 PM
The rules didn't touch what I've been working on. I have a huge collection of Terragen 0.9  .ter files and in uninspired or bored moments like my current state, I load one as a base and in the situation I'm talking about, totally destroy it with first the erosion plugin and then a few Fractal Warp shaders before I start work on the textures and extra displacements. Should I continue as it's looking good.
Thanks for your patience.

"Your Main Cliff Must Be Terragen created. World Machine, ZBrush, 3-D Coat or similar 3rd party generated Cliff displacements or structures WILL NOT be permitted"

What ever program the ter was created in was not Terragen. So it can not be used as its a foreign structure (3rd party created) The only exception is if you sculpt the base structure in Terragen Classic and use that, then technically it's Terragen created  ;D But you can do that painting in v4 with a displacement shader. Just think Terragen made, its a terragen contest
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on February 13, 2018, 10:41:08 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 12, 2018, 03:36:15 PM
The rules didn't touch what I've been working on. I have a huge collection of Terragen 0.9  .ter files and in uninspired or bored moments

What ever program the ter was created in was not Terragen. So it can not be used as its a foreign structure (3rd party created) The only exception is if you sculpt the base structure in Terragen Classic and use that, then technically it's Terragen created  ;D But you can do that painting in v4 with a displacement shader. Just think Terragen made, its a terragen contest

If it was a DEM that was generated in TG is that cool?, cuz I'll just go find the gd DEM and rebuild from scratch, but it seems counter productive if I already have it as a .ter file...I kinda like where I've got to on my like 23rd or 4th attempt. Who'd a thought a cliff would be so resistant to my creative urges..plus there's nada left of the .ter, I just like the remains...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

even easier I found ter2heightmap on my drive, woo hoo, converted it and am in the process of reloading it....likely gonna need some adjustments though. Happy I didn't have to struggle with DEMs which always give me trouble
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 13, 2018, 11:41:57 AM
even easier I found ter2heightmap on my drive, woo hoo, converted it and am in the process of reloading it....likely gonna need some adjustments though. Happy I didn't have to struggle with DEMs which always give me trouble

Bobby, you CANNOT use a 3rd party created heightmap or ter or dem or tiff. It has to be created/generated in a some version of terragen. A terragen generated height field as your base is a must, you cannot use ANY loaded file as your main structure (base) or cliff displacements. You can use them as supporting objects and distant mountains. But your cliff MUST be terragen made. (INTERNALLY GENERATED)
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on February 13, 2018, 11:55:32 AM

Bobby, you CANNOT use a 3rd party created heightmap or ter or dem or tiff. It has to be created/generated in a some version of terragen. A terragen generated height field as your base is a must, you cannot use ANY loaded file as your main structure (base) or cliff displacements. You can use them as supporting objects and distant mountains. But your cliff MUST be terragen made. (INTERNALLY GENERATED)

Ahem,....I've converted the .ter that I have to a .bmp and am using that to generate IN TG4 the same terrain...is that not following to the letter, the rule?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 13, 2018, 12:16:00 PM

Ahem,....I've converted the .ter that I have to a .bmp and am using that to generate IN TG4 the same terrain...is that not following to the letter, the rule?

If you started with a ter from anywhere and converted it then loaded it in terragen that's exactly what you cannot do. Skype me to clarify danny.3dart or send me the files before you go too far
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on February 13, 2018, 12:47:41 PM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 13, 2018, 12:16:00 PM

If you started with a ter from anywhere and converted it then loaded it in terragen that's exactly what you cannot do. Skype me to clarify danny.3dart or send me the files before you go too far

Gonna pass on this one. I have reached my limit with a scene I can't seem to bring to life and this was a close as I came to a cool cliff. I'll lurk and enjoy other's creativity. Mine seems more music oriented lately in any case and maybe this is telling me to change gears ...always a problem with multiple muses...later....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DannyG

Bobby the rules are not to curb your creativity, when we (the community) discussed the Cliff Theme the majority of users did not what contestants to have the ability to create or download a height map of any kind, from anywhere load it, hot render and win a Terragen challenge, hence your Cliff needs to be Terragen generated. You still have plenty of time to get something together
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Hannes

So, even a .ter file is not allowed? Thank god I didn't use any. I didn't expect that, since .ter is somehow a genuine Terragen file extension.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on February 14, 2018, 01:05:35 PM
So, even a .ter file is not allowed? Thank god I didn't use any. I didn't expect that, since .ter is somehow a genuine Terragen file extension.

That was my confusion as I often generate a .ter in 0.9 to start my erosion experiments on, I seem to get better results than using a Generate  in TG4 terrain. As I mentioned unless I have an epiphany re Cliffs I'll pass on this and put my time to less frustrating tasks like practicing guitar heh heh...and doing interior renders as I seem obsessed with them of late. Don't have the patience for some things I used to have, but guitar is love and doesn't require patience, just love.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New