NWDA's TERRAGEN THEME CHALLENGE "CLIFF"

Started by DannyG, January 09, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 14, 2018, 01:15:02 PM
...but guitar is love and doesn't require patience, just love.

Sounds great, Bobby. I wish I could play an instrument. I have a guitar as well, but I never managed to get something meaningful out of it.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 14, 2018, 01:15:02 PM
Quote from: Hannes on February 14, 2018, 01:05:35 PM
So, even a .ter file is not allowed? Thank god I didn't use any. I didn't expect that, since .ter is somehow a genuine Terragen file extension.

That was my confusion as I often generate a .ter in 0.9 to start my erosion experiments on, I seem to get better results than using a Generate  in TG4 terrain. As I mentioned unless I have an epiphany re Cliffs I'll pass on this and put my time to less frustrating tasks like practicing guitar heh heh...and doing interior renders as I seem obsessed with them of late. Don't have the patience for some things I used to have, but guitar is love and doesn't require patience, just love.

There are those features in 0.9 that a lot of us miss, with the various options for noise and the previews with sculpt functions, guess as with everything experience and faithfulness to the program counts for naught. We all got a lot of practice exporting those terrains in various forms and learned a lot, I suppose.

Matt

I'm pretty sure that Danny's rules DO allow you to use .ter files if they were generated completely in Terragen, including Terragen v0.9, so sculpting in v0.9 is allowed and so is v0.9's generation features. I believe the restriction only applies if it originated from another source such as a DEM or photoshop or scanned model etc. But Danny may correct me if I'm wrong here.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

agent unawares

If you generate your terrain in 0.9, then you should be fine showing a 0.9 save file if necessary, yeah? I think you guys are too worried.

bobbystahr

Quote from: agent unawares on February 16, 2018, 12:21:04 AM
If you generate your terrain in 0.9, then you should be fine showing a 0.9 save file if necessary, yeah? I think you guys are too worried.

To sort this out what I wanted to use was a DEM sourced .ter that I had approved back in my Renderosity freestuff moderator days and apparently that made it a sick bird(ill eagle)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on February 16, 2018, 08:09:53 AM

To sort this out what I wanted to use was a DEM sourced .ter that I had approved back in my Renderosity freestuff moderator days and apparently that made it a sick bird(ill eagle)

Probably a stupid question, but I do not get around much, I suppose other programs can import DEM files? I know what a DEM is, I have a couple downloaded for long term experimenting. Sorry you can't use it, nonetheless.

agent unawares

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 16, 2018, 08:46:41 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on February 16, 2018, 08:09:53 AM

Probably a stupid question, but I do not get around much, I suppose other programs can import DEM files? I know what a DEM is, I have a couple downloaded for long term experimenting. Sorry you can't use it, nonetheless.

DEM means Digital Elevation Model which is usually terrain data from a real-world location and not Terragen-generated.

DannyG

Quote from: Matt on February 15, 2018, 12:12:11 AM
I'm pretty sure that Danny's rules DO allow you to use .ter files if they were generated completely in Terragen, including Terragen v0.9, so sculpting in v0.9 is allowed and so is v0.9's generation features. I believe the restriction only applies if it originated from another source such as a DEM or photoshop or scanned model etc. But Danny may correct me if I'm wrong here.

Matt

This is correct
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

My raw output image is somewhere about 60MB (16bit tiff), so I guess that's needed as a jpg?

DannyG

Quote from: Dune on April 06, 2018, 04:02:44 AM
My raw output image is somewhere about 60MB (16bit tiff), so I guess that's needed as a jpg?

Thanks for asking before sending that one. 60 Megs is just a bit too large to handle. As far as the output image if you can resize that so it's view-able, say 2400 x XXXX. I don't want you to jpeg it as that just trashes it. Use your judgement, if you can get it to 20 MB that's fine.
Per the contest Rules 8 MB is the max for your submitted entry. Again thanks for asking
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

You can make a high quality JPG that is virtually indistinguishable from a TIFF image. I don't know what tools you have available (Ulco), but probably Photoshop, so you can use Save for Web with a quality of 80-90. It will probably still be a few MB, but not 60. Alternatively you can use the free XnView which has a great JPG engine. If you use XnView I can offer more specific settings for ideal results.

- Oshyan

Dune

I can resize (and make it 8-bit) of course and save as TIF with LZW compression, which would maybe yield a 10MB file. I just saved the whole thing as high quality jpg, which is nearing 4MB.
So, what would you like 8-bit small tif or full high quality jpg? The worked file (not much worked on) is nearing 4 too, so together they would be within 8MB.

DannyG

Quote from: Dune on April 07, 2018, 03:04:16 AM
I can resize (and make it 8-bit) of course and save as TIF with LZW compression, which would maybe yield a 10MB file. I just saved the whole thing as high quality jpg, which is nearing 4MB.
So, what would you like 8-bit small tif or full high quality jpg? The worked file (not much worked on) is nearing 4 too, so together they would be within 8MB.

The raw export does not have any size restrictions, when you said 60 Megs that's just massive. I just need you to get that down a bit if possible. If you really need to send me a 60Meg image I will take it. I just feel for it's purpose .. it is excessive in size.  Only the actual "Judged Entry" has the 8 Mb size restraints.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Dune

OK, I'll make it 8-bit and resize, save as LZW TIFF.

DannyG

Closed for Entries
ALL Entries will be posted at NWDA in a few days, winner announcements soon after. Thanks you to all contestants

http://www.nwdastore.com/theme-challenge/
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com