AndyWelder WIP's

Started by AndyWelder, January 10, 2018, 01:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyWelder

Hope I'm doing this right...
There are three different projects/entries I'm working on and all of them are more or less flawed.
The one that has the most flaws is "New Islands CTC".[attach=1]Biggest problem are the "ruptured PF's" causing holes to appear in the surface of the terrain features (most clearly visible in the upper part of the foreground feature). And I have no clue on how to fix that... The sea foam is another issue but that is not a biggie, a different mask will cure that. The haze settings are too dense too. The algae on the lower parts of the rocks reach to high, and they also need some "glistening wetness", will try a reflective shader for that. Vegetation is another issue: Distribution, color, all require more work.

Then there is "Chinese landscape CE". [attach=2] Biggest problem is with the distant low fog/cloud: I don't like it as it is now but haven't come up with an alternative. And then there's the question "does this fit the contest theme?"... Oh, and that solitary tree on the right mountain top sure is a no-no; will drop that and think of an alternative. Also I will enable "Receive shadows from surfaces" for the foreground low fog later on in the project just to save (render)time. A small test render did look great with that feature enabled but twice the render time...?

The last WIP I'd like to present is "Cliffs themed NWDA Try 03 Stormy" [attach=3] This is the one I'm most happy with. The "dunes" need some more work to make them really look like waves. I want more light hitting the terrain features and really emphasize the rock's structure but also keep, even enhance the rays of light at the same time. That's a balancing act, I know from other projects... And maybe I'll add a small trawler partially buried in that "ocean of sand". *humming "A Horse With No Name"*
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

DannyG

You 3 months to refine one of them, good luck picking one as all 3 have serious potential
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

archonforest

Those 3 renders are telling me that I should not even try... :-X
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

zaxxon

Whoa! Some great ideas already in place. I really like the various atmospheres, but I'm leaning towards number 3 at this point. Looks like we're all going to have to bring our "A" game to this contest!  :)

Artice-3d

AndyWelder,  very very good... Your technique is very similar to mine, but one advice formation texture is a bit stretched, relax it and it will look much better, actually a photorealistically better!!  ;D ;)
---------------------------------------------------
Danny, at the end we can send just one of our final work?!

Dune

You're back in full force, Andy. Good on you. I like your WIP's, and if I were to choose, I'd go for 1.

Artice-3d

Dune, i argee with you, 1 is the best!!  ;D 8) :o ;)

AndyWelder

Thank you all for your encouraging words.
Just finished my power nap and woke up with a possible solution for the "ruptured PF's": A work around using my floating rocks from the past. I'm thinking of stacking copies of them and not to use that much displacement as was used here to create the rock formations/terrain features.
Off to try!  ;D

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Hey Andy,

I actually really like the #2 "Chinese Landscape" rendering.  What I would say though is I would love to see something more in the center/slightly right foreground, like one of your rock pillars, but not so quite as tall, so we can see some of the detail.  You could have a "Hero Tree" on top too.  Just a thought.  I keep wanting to zoom into the pillars to see more.  ;)

OR, another thought that just came to mind was maybe skip the center focal point, and frame in the rendering with something on both the right and left edge that's closer up.

Derek

Artice-3d

Quote from: AndyWelder on January 10, 2018, 01:50:29 PM
Hope I'm doing this right...
There are three different projects/entries I'm working on and all of them are more or less flawed.

Andy i almost forgot to tell you- if you want to get rid of this little displacement holes, try to use  Render settings - Advanced - Subdivs settings - displacement filter to 2, 3 or 4... maybe it will help you a bit ;) 8)

AndyWelder

@ Artice-3d
Quotetry to use  Render settings - Advanced - Subdivs settings - displacement filter to 2, 3 or 4...
I think that's a setting available in TG4? I can't find it but maybe that's because I'm using TG3...

Artice-3d

Quote from: AndyWelder on January 11, 2018, 04:43:21 PM
@ Artice-3d
Quotetry to use  Render settings - Advanced - Subdivs settings - displacement filter to 2, 3 or 4...
I think that's a setting available in TG4? I can't find it but maybe that's because I'm using TG3...

Yes it is and it removes this kind of holes and pixels  ;) ;D

AndyWelder

A retry of the "New Islands CTC" project; this time with stacked "floating rocks".[attach=1]
I wanted to preserve the arched features because that's one of the features I liked a lot in the original but because of the new approach they turned out a lot bigger now... Not so sure if I like it. The cliffs are IMO missing the cover of vegetation, that's for the next step. And so is a new mask for the "sea foam", a clip originally from Ade Levi a.k.a. Terrade. And now that I'm crediting: There is dandelO's "Planetary Grass Shader" used too, a bit tweaked by me.
Oh, and the features at the horizon are still there but because I changed the set-up I forgot to change the color so now they're white and hardly noticeable in that still hazy atmo. :-[

Dune

It's getting interesting, some sort of agglomarate rock, but I would get rid of the 'rings'. They don't fit in that type of rock.

AndyWelder

Quotesome sort of agglomarate rock
The type I know as "Breccia" rock. Dang, someone with an eye for rock and who knows his rock.  :'( I was hoping this would become masked by the vegetation.  :-\