AndyWelder WIP's

Started by AndyWelder, January 10, 2018, 01:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

This is much better indeed. You can keep this foam, but add some new around the rocks.

AndyWelder

Thank you all!
QuoteYou can keep this foam, but add some new around the rocks.
That's what I planned and what I did.

Here's an iteration. Not sure if I'll go on with this one, maybe too populated with cliffs... Still thinking... But anyway the surfacing, or parts of it, will be ported to another project; I like it too much.
[attach=1]
At the moment I'm working on removing the strata from the "ceiling" of the tidal zone.
[attach=2]
After that do some tests with a foreground patch of rocks so the camera has some solid ground to stand on.

Oh, almost forgot: I'm doing some tests with negative displacements.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Dune

You have to work on some nice clouds too!

AndyWelder

QuoteYou have to work on some nice clouds too!
What are you saying?! These not nice clouds?!  ;)
I'm thinking of something dramatic like in one of the early sketches, the "Stormy" one. Some nice rays hitting spots that are worth it, shadows covering the not so great spots...  ;D

Dune

AndyWelder

The long silence here didn't mean I was doing nothing. I focused on the atmosphere and lighting at first but got strange results I couldn't explain. Not very happy with the light in this one either but need some more time to experiment. What I do like in this one is the vegetation and to a lesser degree the tidal zone. Now, with higher detail and at a larger size I see a couple of things that can be improved there.
[attach=1]
What I don't understand is the appearance of those black spots in the water... Does anyone know a possible explanation?

Jo Kariboo

I very like the last one! Nice, big and impressive!
Sorry I don't know for the black spot in water.

mhaze

luvsmuzik

Magnificent! Overall setup is so well done!

AndyWelder

Thank you!

Next step: The foreground. A couple of Dune's grasses and a grass from lightning are a good base for possibly more vegetation like herbs or a small shrub to hide the slightly awkward displacement on the left.
[attach=1]
And those black spots keep appearing...

Hannes

Wow, looks great!!
One minor crit: to me the foam pattern looks a bit too large. I think the cliffs are quite far away.

Jo Kariboo

Very nice! The foreground is a good addition!

masonspappy

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on February 18, 2018, 07:07:51 AM
Wow, looks great!!
One minor crit: to me the foam pattern looks a bit to large. I think the cliffs are quite far away.

Agree with this, and I see no awkward displacement anywhere in this image....and I'm seeing the black artifacts in the water are still there. I have no solution but I'm sure someone does.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

SILENCER

Brilliant ideas here.
Those formations are great.
The curiosity I have about how you achieved that is a brain wobbler.