AndyWelder WIP's

Started by AndyWelder, January 10, 2018, 01:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Did you try to raise the displacement tolerance (planet) or the force all edges of higher subdivision (inside render node)? Do the black spots change if you have a different water seed? Are they there without reflection, or transparency?

mhaze

AndyWelder

Did miss the recent replies for some reason. :-\
@ Dune:
QuoteDo the black spots change if you have a different water seed? Are they there without reflection, or transparency?
Yup, the black spots change position when changing the water seed and they still did occur after setting transparency to zero. I also changed the wave height thinking there could be some interference with the water hitting the terrain surface. To no avail...
Quoteor the force all edges of higher subdivision (inside render node)
Now you got me flabbergasted Wait, it's dawning; will look into that later on.
Thank you, @ mhaze!
@ SILENCER: The files this project is based on can be found at the "Terragen Galleries" FB group. They're called "Floating Island Clean" and "The Ramp Clean". And here  at Planetside forums, in the files section there is this one: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23833.msg240697.html#msg240697 Happy play time! :)
@ Hannes:
QuoteOne minor crit: to me the foam pattern looks a bit too large. I think the cliffs are quite far away.
Yup, you're right about that. In the latest version they're much smaller now. I also did add a trawler to give a sense of scale.

Now, here's the most recent render.
[attach=1]
Absolutely happy with the vegetation.
To-do's for the next and probably last version: I'll tilt/move the camera a bit upwards so there is less foreground terrain visible; it's the only way I can think of to get rid of that exploded PF. This will also change the position of the last render bucket and might solve the absolute extreme render time it took to finish this bucket: On a total of 60 hours of render time for this render, over 30 hours went into this small part.  :o But what else do you expect if you have someone like me playing with TGD's from someone else. Most of the time a really don't have clue, to be honest. I call this "Empiric Terragineering"  :-[
I did a few tests with different POV's this weekend and this gave me an idea for the lighting of the scene. Will test that after this post.

And I want to say "thank you for your patience and praises"
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

AndyWelder

@ Dune:
Quotethe force all edges of higher subdivision (inside render node)
Could it be you're referring to a setting in TG4, not yet integrated into TG3? I went through all the tabs of the render node...

bobbystahr

Quote from: AndyWelder on March 05, 2018, 01:58:06 PM
@ Dune:
Could it be you're referring to a setting in TG4, not yet integrated into TG3? I went through all the tabs of the render node...

Is it not in the advanced tab of the renderer, right next to raytrace everything? Subdiv Settings.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Quote from: AndyWelder on March 05, 2018, 01:58:06 PM
@ Dune:

If it's there it is inside the render node, in the internal network. Accessed through the right click menu or the little + icon on the node.(If there is one already, which is not always the case, like in the default scene for example).

AndyWelder

j meyer, your reply pointed me to the right place: [attach=1]

This is only accessible by right clicking the render node as it seems.
Thank you!

Dune

It's very impressive Andy. The spots may also be artifacts in the rendering of reflections of inverted areas in the rocks above. If you know exactly where they'll appear you could add some object there  ;) (dolphin, other boat, rock sticking out of water (mask by simple shape))
The exploded PF can be masked by an extra local bush perhaps, or try a small simple shape and do some smoothing, or try to find the fractal that does it, and add a local simple shape to mask that particular displacement out. Lots of possibilities. I like this foreground.

Hannes

The last one looks fantastic! Too bad, there is this issue... :(

cyphyr

Dark and moody "The island of Dr Doom!" or something.
I'd maybe loose the pillar mid right so there is an open view through to the horizon.
The image is very even with all the elements a similar weight at the moment.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

AndyWelder

An extra boat and some rock features added to mask the black spots. It was a bit of a rush job so I didn't check first, now I misplaced a rock... The shape of the rock features also is disappointing.
Got this all sorted out in a new render that is running now. I'm hoping it is the last test render.
[attach=1]
As you can see the foreground has slightly altered: I fiddled with the camera's position to avoid the part of the foreground that took so abnormal long to render. Also I did use a different PF in the foreground part. That worked out fine: Total render time of this one, with the same quality and size was little over 18 hours.

bobbystahr

Anticipating a mindblowing final render...really like all the improvements.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AndyWelder

QuoteAnticipating a mindblowing final render...
Well, don't hold your breath... The render that was on its way when I wrote my last reply was almost finished when Windows decided to restart, so it seems, and I was looking at the log-on screen when I woke up yesterday morning... Reason for this behavior? Unknown... It wasn't an update because I "disabled" that by postponing updates for 30 days. Also there wasn't the usual message telling Windows did get an update.
So I did start another render, 3000x1200, detail 0.8 and AA 8 and if this one finishes it'll become my entry. If it doesn't finish I'll quit, that simple... 

mhaze

Great image! I've had the black spot problem before but I really cannot remember how I solved it! I've been looking at the file but really can't remember. Renders crashing happens to me sometimes! usually after I've been using TG non stop for several days. It often pays to restart before an important render and always save before a render.

Jo Kariboo

It is an excellent and impressive rendering. Personally I would simply correct black spots in post prod. The purpose of the contest is not to give the impression that the app is perfect and without small bug sometimes.