2018 VFX trend predictions from Foundary

Started by cyphyr, January 11, 2018, 04:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Yeah same here. Cant wait to see what will come this year.
Playing Hellblade right now and I really like the technology they implemented.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Software companies should first make sure they are able to handle their own products before accelerating to the speed of light, loosing parts of their corporate vehicles as they go. ::) Just this December Rockstar's DLC updates for GTA V caused complete carnage with many people complaining the game (even in complete offline mode) stutters like mad and is no longer playable. They keep inventing new game modes and vehicles without giving a damn to technical patches.

So instead of inventing yet newer technologies they should all be fixing the existing one if you ask me. ::)

As far as AVR is concerned... I have some serious doubts. :( I'm afraid this will cause interpersonal relations to collapse. People will no longer talk to each other and we'll be living our lives like digital zombies to score points and achievements like in this vid here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJg02ivYzSs

"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

I completely agree with you about VR. I believe it to be a VERY BAD IDEA. (I am however looking forward to Ready Player One).
As VR advances it will provide a better, shinier more interesting version of reality and people will increasingly choose that over their boring mundane lives.

As regards point 6, the cinematic quality game engines are now approaching is very exciting and something I need to learn up on quickly.
If you have not already checked them out do take a look at the Adam series of shorts made entirely in UNITY.
https://unity3d.com/pages/adam

ADAM 1 (2 and 3 in the sidebar and follow on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

N-drju

Yes, I've seen Adam videos. Impressive work indeed.

Generally, it's okay to develop such technologies for entertainment... medical purposes too perhaps...? I remember how impressed I was with GTA V graphics (back when it still worked on my machine that is ;D) so it's a fun way to unwind.

But gameification of everyday life scares the heck out of me... Not so long ago I was meeting a person who completely lost it when her smartphone ran out of energy and powerbank wouldn't come on either. I thought of such things as anecdotal examples of our ever more technological world, until I witnessed this... It was very unpleasant to me personally but interesting and scary to look at at the same time.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

ajcgi

Quote from: N-drju on January 12, 2018, 07:47:05 AM
But gameification of everyday life scares the heck out of me... Not so long ago I was meeting a person who completely lost it when her smartphone ran out of energy and powerbank wouldn't come on either. I thought of such things as anecdotal examples of our ever more technological world, until I witnessed this... It was very unpleasant to me personally but interesting and scary to look at at the same time.

Yes. Oh God yes. A marked difference between where I live and where I work is the proportion of people walking in to each other, muttering 'sorry' but really watching Netflix while they walk. Video. While walking. Many of these people also drive cars. Consider that. I have pulled over a few times to let people past after seeing in my rear view mirror that they were looking at their phone a fair amount and not at the road.

archonforest

Very soon all traffic lights and signs will be integrated into the surface of the roads/walkways so people can notice them :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

In the meantime, I am waiting three weeks for a plumber due to weather conditions and lack of skilled people in my area. My situation is not an emergency, but still.

A five year old could tell me how to send a tweet or whatever it is they do now. (and it is probably down to age three now) :)