Clouds following terrain revisited

Started by N-drju, January 12, 2018, 04:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

No, I don't think so, but maybe something has changed in the cloud node in the last years or so. I hardly ever (never) use those features nowadays. I will test some older file in which I did a very nice lenticular cloud. See if it still works.
If you try my file and fill in some other values, funny things happen.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on May 24, 2018, 03:43:50 AM
So what you both say is that it might be a system dependent problem...? ???

For me it works on Win 8.1 and TG3.

Can you show us examples of your working versions? Like I mentioned, I thought it was working on my Arid Landscapes, but it only varied the tops of the clouds slightly, which may have just been depth modulators.

I was using a SSS and side view to see the whole push, if there was one.

WAS

So, I figured out (I believe) how to get this working for myself. What I did is a disp to scalar, divided it for some smoothness, than a colour adjust, -1000 black level and 2000 white level, both clamped. I than simply plugged that into the altitude adjustment. No difference, sure, than I headed into the cloud layer itself, and upped the Function Multiplier to a whopping 1500-2000 (in my scenes case) to get some effect. I haven't rendered this for a confirmation but it looks pretty obvious in the preview from the flat cloud layer cutting off the mountains half way up.