Exr terrain as water

Started by luvsmuzik, January 13, 2018, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I had a bunch of generated exr displacement images so I loaded one as a terrain file. With all this vector displacement research going on.....

This loaded as a heightfield for me and I used it as water taking the original SSS mask to a surface layer instead of on the fractal terrain. I probably could have just saved the plane it was generated to as an object, but I wanted to see if this worked.

No vector displacement like Artice3D and paq are doing...but I am awaiting a way to do that in other programs whenever everybody shares the technique fully. :)

N-drju

That's something you don't see everyday. Interesting idea. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

Thanks
Quote from: N-drju on January 13, 2018, 01:23:35 PM
That's something you don't see everyday. Interesting idea. ;)

I have 200 such images cached in the file. What I was thinking of was if it would ever be possible to assign the exr cache and animate like a sequence that is possible for an object. Problem is it is saved as cache, exr, not as a sequence. Assigning the exr, to the plane for example. I know you can animate water other ways, I was just thinking.

bobbystahr

I like this...continue developing this idea please.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cyphyr

How do you mean it is saved as a cache?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

luvsmuzik

Quote from: cyphyr on January 15, 2018, 03:43:03 AM
How do you mean it is saved as a cache?

Oh, the EXR images are generated when making an animation in Blender. It is the result of the "ocean modifer" applied to a plane. Blender has settings to displace over time, similar to Terragens water shader. When you do such animation, you "bake" the displacement that is stored in a cache output.

When I look at this image in file preview in TG, I see a RGB image that probably could be used in some node setup elsewhere. I just tried it as terrain load heightfield and put a vertical adjust on it. Unlike using a TIFF for a heightfield, this gave me displacement instead of just even vertical rise.

attached a zip example exr.

j meyer

This is what you get when your exr is applied as VDisp.
[attach=1]
To get it exactly like in Blender the image size should be the same - in meters - as the size
of the plane (?) you used it for there.
I could of course only make a guess here sizewise.

Attached is a tgd to dissect.

luvsmuzik

Oh wow jmeyer! Thankyou!!

That is what I was thinking like TG noise is too, but no clue how to hook up!

luvsmuzik

I must say that vector displacement shader did the trick on that EXR image! When I used it on terrain heightfield I was only able to scale the whole height, even though I had some displacement, this works great now!

I transferred that to a plane with hookup to a water shader. I did an extreme y displace at 4 with final multiplier at 5. Off to the races!

Thanks again j meyer!

cyphyr

Most excellent choppy water!
So is Blender's ability to export displacements like this limited to it's water plane of can it work on other objects, like, err, I don't know, maybe cliffs ... .. . ?
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

luvsmuzik

Quote from: cyphyr on January 15, 2018, 04:09:02 PM
Most excellent choppy water!
So is Blender's ability to export displacements like this limited to it's water plane of can it work on other objects, like, err, I don't know, maybe cliffs ... .. . ?

Haha...you and me both....

Blender has a lot of the noise elements that I have seen in Ray Trace programs.....voronoi, perlin, magic, granite, etc.  You can apply that to an object with a displacement modifier. I think now you can even use vertex paint and groups and those kind of techniques
I am learning this and that along the way. I did see some tutorials on exporting Open EXR and EXR . I was trying to squash a frog model and then make a UV map for it, like Artice3D and paq are talking about. I got as far as I could, but I did not have a clue about relaxing the mesh and displacing to another plane. I am sure eventually there will be a way....

gao_jian11

interesting. I used grayscale images, originally created using special industrial embossing software in the "numerical control" area.Processing into a vector map should have more details of the quality.

bobbystahr

Quote from: gao_jian11 on January 15, 2018, 09:04:23 PM
interesting. I used grayscale images, originally created using special industrial embossing software in the "numerical control" area.Processing into a vector map should have more details of the quality.

this looks more like a depth pass but it's a stunning use you've made of it as a height map...KUDOs
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: gao_jian11 on January 15, 2018, 09:04:23 PM

Okay...I had to try that....
I used a grayish image...then did a negative filter....used your node setup with a new camera...I also rendered from that second camera

I did a negative displace on mine as it is a building facade, but I like it. I am playing with vector displace, but do not see much difference yet...I go slow...

cyphyr

These both look very impressive.
Try feeding the Vector displacement shader into the child input of a surface layer which has a "Tex coords from XYZ" before it and turn down the y function multiplier to 0 (also tweak the x and z so it works perpendicular to the camera or arrange your scene with the projection camera pointing directly along the x or z axis)

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 15, 2018, 10:01:39 PM
this looks more like a depth pass but it's a stunning use you've made of it as a height map...KUDOs

Well spotted Bobby. There is a very useful clue here :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\