I'm not yer Mom y know....

Started by bobbystahr, January 15, 2018, 09:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

...so the car keys are where ever you left em.

Revisiting an old project just for fun. Jochen modeled this room for our project with glass a while back and it's too good to not reuse.
Esmee and Nash from humanalloy.com free models. sideboard from cadnav and the other stuff from rendo and sharecg.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Way hip  ;D

Like the translucency on yer stained glass. Does that type of image shader take a bump map? I would love to see a definition in that lead work around the glass. Maybe this new stuff we are seeing will give us a clue. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 16, 2018, 07:26:36 AM
Way hip  ;D

Like the translucency on yer stained glass. Does that type of image shader take a bump map? I would love to see a definition in that lead work around the glass. Maybe this new stuff we are seeing will give us a clue. :)

I could separate the came from the glass but at present the st glass is a single plane but I'd add a 2nd plane for the came and it would be alpha mapped.I guess it could be bumped buy it would still be semi-transparent. With a 2nd plane with an alpha channel in place of glass you can cast shadows from the came as you may have seen in some previous glass renders I posted here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Yeah I think a grayscale bump does like opacity alpha in my opinion, I forgot you do that double thing for your glass though. That balloon technique was quite the trip too  :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 16, 2018, 01:23:22 PM
Yeah I think a grayscale bump does like opacity alpha in my opinion, I forgot you do that double thing for your glass though. That balloon technique was quite the trip too  :)

the merge shader is your friend!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Nice lighting, Bobby. You could mask the glass part, and use regular color and bump on the non-glass parts. Then it wouldn't be semi-transparent. Even assign some semi-shiny lead shaderset to the metal parts.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 17, 2018, 02:08:25 AM
Nice lighting, Bobby. You could mask the glass part, and use regular color and bump on the non-glass parts. Then it wouldn't be semi-transparent. Even assign some semi-shiny lead shaderset to the metal parts.

Well the plan with the glass is to duplicate the plane and on one  cast shadows will be enabled, be med grey in colour and have an alpha to cut out the came and the other will be the present setup. I've found doing interiors with stained glass i particular that adding even a small amount of atmo from a Ver 2 Cloud / no density shader makes it work from all angles, other wise you need shadows.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 17, 2018, 02:08:25 AM
Even assign some semi-shiny lead shaderset to the metal parts.

Here's what I was talking about with 2 interior planes. I seem to see variable transparency showing up in the shadow which is new as it's not in the alpha plane but from the colour one. To me, it almost to these tired colourblind eyes, looks like colour info in the shadow; the main reason for the pure white ground.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

interesting....I was thinking the stained color was not opaque, but I see it is. Since it is not masked in the clear areas, it dims your shadow totally.....not sure what I am trying to say, gonna try something...to be continued. :)

Dune

This looks kind of like it should, doesn't it?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 18, 2018, 02:02:36 AM
This looks kind of like it should, doesn't it?

Indeed, in the render I was mainly checking to see which designs were worthy, but the intent is to take them all this way. Some are easier than others to do so I'll be doing simpler ones first.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New