René WIP.

Started by René, January 17, 2018, 01:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Excellent work on the waterfall so far, as well as the rest of your scene!

Dune

So what do you do in Photoshop, paint a mask?
For soft edges I've used a glass shader as a base, with soft edges. That would be the only way for now. My main problem with waterfalls was to have sidestreams rushing over stones and 'getting back' to stream further down, not ending in nothing.

René

I painted a mask for the contours of the waterfall. For the bending (lateral and horizontal) of the card object, I used the gradient tool in Photoshop corrected with the curves tool to create a displacement map. The water structure is also a displacement map created using a combination of photos and painting, but I think that I can achieve better results with procedural textures.,
Rocks sticking through the waterfall are indeed problematic, so you have to find a place suitable for the placement of a waterfall, or prepare a part of the terrain. I intend to investigate whether the waterfall can be inflected naturally around the rock by using the rock displacement as a warper.
I hope that this gibberish makes sense. :)

Dune

It does.
I once (or twice) used the main terrain without the finer displacements, and fed that into a plane. Then dented the main terrain where the fall is supposed to be (but hard to find the perfect spot), so only the rather smooth plane displacements are visible there. Then applied fall displacements and colors, and if the sides were off the rock and supposed to be gradual used a water shader (and later a glass shader). Something like that.

René

I'm going to try the glass shader, but I'm afraid that the render times will skyrocket, mainly because I also want to use some clouds for splashing, foam and fog.
Suppose that I get this working then it must also be possible to animate the waterfall. However, this will be something for after the contest. :)

Dune

You needn't make the glass shader reflective, and that makes a big difference!

DannyG

Cleaver construction, great mood. This is certainly going to be a top 3 contender
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on February 01, 2018, 05:18:47 AM
One of the best I've seen.  It really is time that we had grey scale transparency!

hear hear
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

An amazing start René  and thanks again for revealing the "Easter Egg" of displacing cards..displacement any where and at any angle...I'll be forgetting about the Plane entirely now.
And thanks for talking about method as us 'not so sharp' ones really benefit from it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

René

Exploring a new kind of rock.

mhaze

bobbystahr

Brilliant, I've seen cliffs like that.
something borrowed,
something Blue.