René WIP.

Started by René, January 17, 2018, 01:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

This will be a contest for yourself; one about choosing  ;)

René

Quote from: Dune on January 28, 2018, 02:11:28 AM
This will be a contest for yourself; one about choosing  ;)

Yep! A few more weeks and then they can lock me up in a mental institution.

AndyWelder

Look what I found on Streetview! [attach=1]
Spanish coast.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Tangled-Universe

You're always driving random Spanish roads when the weather is crappy in The Netherlands, Andy? :P

AndyWelder

QuoteYou're always driving random Spanish roads when the weather is crappy in The Netherlands, Andy?
So that you know it: They're not random but selected for their proximity to a coast!!  :P  And it's what I often do while waiting for a render to finish...  ;D
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Ariel DK

Quote from: René on January 22, 2018, 09:43:28 AM
Thanks! The waterfall still requires a lot of work. I will only use it if it is credible.

very good work rene, BTW I hope you still go forward with the waterfall. I see a win entrance in that one...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

René

Cliffs just beg for a waterfall. If I can pull it off there certainly will be one or more waterfalls.

René

WIP

Another set-up with tons of flaws.

René

Another attempt at creating a waterfall.  :-\

Dune

And quite a succesful one! You probably also used a plane conforming to the side of the rock, with some fractal displacements, and perhaps a no-RT reflection. Though reflection is probably not even needed, just some translucency. Top and bottom are always the hardest, but this looks really good.

René

I have used a card object with three displacement maps, one for the horizontal rounding, and one for the lateral rounding so that the card gets a bend. On top of that, there is a displacement for the water structure. And of course a transparency map.
The problem is that I constantly have to go back and forth between Photoshop and Terragen and that the smallest differences in gray value have major consequences.
What I don't manage to achieve is the softness of the edges of the waterfall because the transparency has only two values, transparent or not, so no soft transition. I have tried to solve this by building up a grid of very small dots in the transition.
It is therefore basically a proof of concept

mhaze

One of the best I've seen.  It really is time that we had grey scale transparency!

René

That would be useful right now.  :)

Hannes

INdeed!!! The waterfall looks fantastic, René!