Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Indeed! Great shapes and colors!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

masonspappy

That's quite impressive!

zaxxon

Outstanding rock shapes and foliage placement. Fine work!

DannyG

Ground breaking stuff Rene
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

René

8 hrs and going. With such long render times, a resume rendering capability is indispensable. The render has just started with the lake, so that means I can't work with Terragen for the rest of the day.

Hetzen

Looks good though doesn't it! There's some really nice cracks and subtle mix of scales. Doesn't look too stretched either. The only critique I have is that I think the trees could be blended better.

René

The distribution of the trees is bad and I used only one type of tree. The colors are also wrong. But I will take care of that later when I am sure which tree species I am going to use. For now, I concentrate only on the rocks. :)

Hetzen

I don't think its bad, just randomly regular.

I wonder how long that water is going to take? If it becomes too much it might be worth investigating using a dumbed down version of your mountains for a separate water render.

Hannes

Does your render need the water shader's transparency? If not, set it to 0, which will decrease render times. I guess it would be similar to Ulco's advice to just use a slightly displaced reflective shader instead of the water shader.

René

Transparency has already been switched off. It's not only the water that slows down rendering but especially the textures that I used; two types of Voronoi merged together plus an alpine shader. In the end I will have to render in parts and composite them together.

Hannes

Oh, the alpine shader... That's indeed increasing rendertimes.

ajcgi

Quote from: René on February 14, 2018, 03:21:10 AM
8 hrs and going. With such long render times, a resume rendering capability is indispensable. The render has just started with the lake, so that means I can't work with Terragen for the rest of the day.

In future, maybe set a limit to the amount of threads available and run 2 Terragens? That way you can render on one and set up something else to use on the other. Sure your render will be slower but you can still get on with things. I often have a few open. It's possible on MacOS too. ;)

mhaze

Great potential in this one.  I tend to turn atmosphere off when test rendering, the new clouds , though nice, tend to be slow to render especially when defer atmosphere is turned on!

luvsmuzik

Looks like it will be another Rene special!
I have resorted to sometimes setting up a scene on the old kermudgeon, transferring it to render on the new one while I rest, because I have the TG bug too. Going blind watching black squares turn color in anticipation.....haha :)

René

I temporarily changed the water shader with a default/power fractal to speed up rendering. Still quite a lot to be done.