Dune's cliff

Started by Dune, January 17, 2018, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Nice refinements in the rock walls, great atmosphere!

bobbystahr

Agree, Keep. On. Tweakin'.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Well, I've had it with this one, off to something else again...  ;) Not very satisfied yet, though  >:(

Jo Kariboo

You may not be satisfied, but it is the image so far that is the most photorealistic presented for this contest among all the participants gathered.  8)

cyphyr

Lighting is neigh on perfect. Honestly thought it was a photo when I walked back in the room. Is the strata bands an image map?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Agree with Richard on the 'most photo realistic' yet in the comp...really fools the eye.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Truly fantastic (!!!!!),
but since I'm a notorious nitpicker, I'd say the wavesize is a bit too large to my taste and the stretched foam patterns perpendicular to the coast look a bit strange.

Otherwise incredibly good!!!

Dune

Well, that's encouraging. Thanks guys. So I'll continue working on this. Do nitpick!! Better version is rendering right now, without water, but low tide version (lot faster).
Lines are by contour shader. I don't really like the contour shader, but it kind of works here.
Yes, the foam lines are remains from windblown high waves at the ocean, but maybe too much, too large. Maybe I'll try to isolate the wave tops and stretch foam from there (somehow...).

Dune

Update. I used Daniil's erosion plugin on the lower parts, to get these streamlines. After that raised upland, etc. Landmass is a get position +  X to scalar + a smooth step, warped.

cyphyr

Great update but I think your scale is a little off.
I'd make the ship 30% to 50% bigger and lower the displacement of the mud flats (the texturing of which is perfect) and lower the beach falloff angle by about 50%.
Looking great otherwise :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

Thanks Richard. The ship is about 90m (I think about true size), so I'll start by lowering the displacements. Good idea, see what it does. I wasn't satisfied with the rockface, so good opportunity to change that as well.

luvsmuzik

I figured your first shoreline cave was your clever use of a simple shape and sphere displacement.....now on the second of this series did your erosion application do the cave like depressions or just lucky coincidence?

Hannes

The cliffs look great and the sandy part as well, but to me the scale is really off. The cliffs look huge and shot from a distance, but the sand part looks like shot from a meter distance.

Dune

Cliffs are about 100m high, but I'm already trying a lower displacement on the muddy and debris part. See if that helps.

Cave is just a simple shape masking a distribution shader set to min and max altitude and a vector displacement shader, very simple.

zaxxon

The second sea cliff has more technical brilliance, but I think the first one is a more appealing image.  What's to become of the wonderful vertigo inducing prior scene?  As always your visions and skills are astounding!