Dune's cliff

Started by Dune, January 17, 2018, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

With setups I mean different ways to make interesting cliffs. I always try them out on a simple cliffshape, and occasionally that grows out to something. At other times I make all into a clip if it looks any good and import it in a complete setup. Like now. But still not satisfied, as it doesn't look like a real cliff with those strange warps.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 17, 2018, 02:28:05 AM
With setups I mean different ways to make interesting cliffs. I always try them out on a simple cliffshape, and occasionally that grows out to something. At other times I make all into a clip if it looks any good and import it in a complete setup. Like now. But still not satisfied, as it doesn't look like a real cliff with those strange warps.

check...as you may have noticed I've yielded to the Fantasy /Fantastic style out of ineptitude.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hetzen

It's looking good tho Ulco. Cliffs can have all sorts of warping going on. Do a Google on "chevron cliff", you'll see some extreme warping. I've just got back from a week in Cornwall in the UK and the south coast cliffs are pretty much all this pattern.

Dune

Chevron cliffs are pretty weird indeed. I just keep it simple, I guess. So here are a few more tests.

archonforest

These black and white versions are really cool!!!!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

cyphyr

These look great and the boat is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Shows off the scale nicely.
The last one is also worth persuing ... maybe soften the sharpness of the strata very slightly and bring the boat ribs to the foreground ...

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Once again I find myself in agreement with Richard with the add on of "Please keep them greyscale"
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Agreed, the grayscale versions are fantastic. I think the addition of the foreground area also helps a lot though. Looking good!

- Oshyan

Jo Kariboo

The cliff as well as the water and the clouds in the distance covering part of the mountains adds a beautiful landscape atmosphere to the seaside and are excellent. A small criticism about the plane on which are the birds and the seaside has a zone of gray having almost the same values making distinction of distance difficult. I have a feeling at first sight that they are on the same plane and at the same distance. The wreck is interesting but can not by itself create convincingly this distance.

Dune

Thanks guys. I don't know if (or whether) I should enter with a B&W version. It can be realistic in terms of B&W photography of course. I like it too, but I hope to make it more like an Ansel Adams image then.
Jo, you're right and actually I was worried by the same issue. maybe some local haze or indeed a drastic change in hue (in color that wouldn't be a problem).
I did another rock setup yesterday, but I'm not pleased with it yet, way too regular. I also introduced a faultline, but it get's kind of funny with this straight rock. Nor do I like the water's edge. But I have a brilliant idea now...  8)

Hannes

WOW, those BW images are incredible! But I agree with Jo, and the last image shows the foreground better.

WAS

Really gotta say, the way the beach rolls into the surf in the horizon is just beautiful. Love the cliff coloring too.

DannyG

Lots of depth in this. The rock face is looks soo good
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Hetzen

Those are looking fantastic. Very crisp displacements. Great work.

bobbystahr

Now I'm  torn as having seen the full colour version I lean heavily to it. You do such great realism it's be a shame to lose your colour sense....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New