Gannaingh's Cliff WIP

Started by Gannaingh, January 19, 2018, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Even with (free) Poseray you could double the poly count on that trunk. Even if you need to split the trunk and leaves first to 2 objects (then double the trunk), then recombine again (just open both at the same time and give a new name). Lots you can do with PR.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 20, 2018, 02:19:07 AM
Even with (free) Poseray you could double the poly count on that trunk. Even if you need to split the trunk and leaves first to 2 objects (then double the trunk), then recombine again (just open both at the same time and give a new name). Lots you can do with PR.

Additionally or instead you can displace the split off trunk which also adds polys, with it's bump map. I've had some success doing that to make beach logs.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Gannaingh

I was busy at work this week so I decided to render the next iteration a bit bigger.

Fortunately, I managed to solve my tree trunk issue so the troublesome tree population can stay. I've done a little work on the undergrowth to add some more variation. I've spent most of the time this past week tweaking the water surface: adding foam on the shore, tweaking the color, and some setup for a reef.

archonforest

Nice update!
Are these rocks are blue nodes? Just asking as never managed to do anything similar like this.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Gannaingh

Archonforest, the rocks face is pretty much a the entire terragen kitchen sink. The main displacements are from a trio redirect shaders, at different scales for different levels of detail, buried under three layers of voronoi for the cracked surfaces. On top of that I have a few more, small scale, redirect shaders and image maps to provide small scale detail.

Dune

It's going to be a very nice cliff render. Maybe you should have another look at the colors of the cliff face, maybe greyer with patches of algae, not as uniform as it's now.

Gannaingh

Thanks, Ulco! Recoloring the cliff face is certainly on the list for updates.

Gannaingh

I haven't had too much time to make updates the past couple days so I just decided to render another bigger version with minimal updates. I've added trees on top of the cliff, so it's not quite so empty up there, and I also did some work on the cliff surface adding in some grey and green to break up the brown surface. I think the green may be a bit too prominent but I want to have a good appearance of moss and algae.

Dune

Cliff face is much better now. For me a bit more grey can be added, but if it's really wet atmo this works very well. I also like your gentle surf (procedural?) and the sand ripples. Great work so far!

Jo Kariboo

An image that encourages us to take our holidays for the south.

Hannes

Wow, beautiful!! I agree with Ulco, the cliffs could be a bit more grey. And maybe a tad brighter?

Gannaingh

Thanks, folks! I'll experiment with adding more grey to the cliff surface. The surf is a white surface layer masked by a warped, stretched power fractal as well as a number of warped simple shape shaders to keep the waves exactly where I want them along the shore.

Dune

Thanks for explaining. That's the way I'd do it too.

DannyG

This is coming along nicely
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram