Cumulus Clouds

Started by PeterParker, January 22, 2018, 11:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterParker

Hello guys!

Anyone knows how to create some awesome Cumulus Clouds before a thunderstorm like shown in the attached pic.?
I most get flat and uninspiring results.

[attach=1]

Thanks a lot for your help
I appreciate it

Regards
Peter

luvsmuzik

Have you visited the File Sharing section, specifically Cloud Library? Some amazing examples on the last few pages along with free clip files and tgd.

bobbystahr

Quote from: PeterParker on January 22, 2018, 11:49:50 AM
Hello guys!

Anyone knows how to create some awesome Cumulus Clouds before a thunderstorm like shown in the attached pic.?
I most get flat and uninspiring results.

[attach=1]

Thanks a lot for your help
I appreciate it

Regards
Peter

try this as well...I found it informative

http://www.store.nwdastore.com/catalog/search?keyword=free
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

PeterParker

Thanks a lot for your answers :-)

Yes, i´ve seen already the Cloud section, but i´m not satisfied with the result, as you can see in the following picture:

First Picture with the new Cloud Modell: Can´t Modell anything cause i´ve only Heights, Tweaks and Quality tabs

[attach=2]

Second Picture: Old Cloud Modell Frank´s thunderhat: Flat, complete whiteout and looks not satisfied at all
Here you have more options but the result is poor

[attachimg=1]

PeterParker

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 24, 2018, 09:38:33 AM
What version of Terragen are you using?

I´m using Version 4.1.18

luvsmuzik

So is this an old cloud clip made in a previous version with limited control box? It looks quite dense if you can adjust density or lighting?

cyphyr

A lot of how clouds look depends on where the sun (or light source) is. In your image at the top of the page the sun is behind the clouds and in your latest image it is in front.
Try moving the sun behind the cloud and experiment with making it higher or lower in the sky. Also experiment with the density settings of the cloud.

edit: Also the image at the top is viewed from underneath the clouds with the camera looking nearly vertically up (well at least 45deg!) You can tell by the dark blue of the sky.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PeterParker

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 24, 2018, 11:26:39 AM
So is this an old cloud clip made in a previous version with limited control box? It looks quite dense if you can adjust density or lighting?

Yes this is an old clip format, seems Terragen cant handle it anymore.

PeterParker

Quote from: cyphyr on January 24, 2018, 11:28:43 AM
A lot of how clouds look depends on where the sun (or light source) is. In your image at the top of the page the sun is behind the clouds and in your latest image it is in front.
Try moving the sun behind the cloud and experiment with making it higher or lower in the sky. Also experiment with the density settings of the cloud.

edit: Also the image at the top is viewed from underneath the clouds with the camera looking nearly vertically up (well at least 45deg!) You can tell by the dark blue of the sky.

Hello cyphyr,

it makes no different whether the sun is before or behind the clouds. The result is the same.
What is better when it comes to rendering: Defer/Atmo Clouds tickt on or increasing the Atmosphere-Samples?
Defer/Atmo Clouds have always a grainy look. Maybe the settings are not properly set by myself.
Any suggestion?

Kadri

I haven't seen any problem in this kind of way with old clouds (can be a bug or whatever of course).
Getting rid of the things you don't want to share and uploading the TGD file here would be the easiest way to get help.

cyphyr

If you are using "Easy Clouds" or Cloud Layer V3 you may get better results by increasing the number of voxels from the default 50 (million) to something higher. However do try moving the sun some more. I'm getting improved results with a default easy cloud and a lowered sun. The default render settings should be fine.
If you can post the file I'm sure we could figure out a solution or spot if it's a bug.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Old clips should still be compatible.

The issues you're seeing - overall lack of shading detail, uniform lighting - should not be due to the default voxel settings. But I assume you are not using v3 clouds here since you mentioned these are old clip files.

The only way to know for sure is if you share your TGD to look at, either here or to support AT planetside.co.uk.

- Oshyan

PeterParker

Ok, thank you Oshyan.
Here you have it.

Thank you for your help.

Tangled-Universe

You are using a V2 cloud and the cloud colour is set >0.25, so by definition it will become brighter than white, since white has an albedo of 100 (this is what TG shows you, it's 177% now).
I reduced the cloud and scattering colour values by 50% and it looks better already.