TG in the last Star Wars??

Started by archonforest, January 23, 2018, 02:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Just went through the list of films were TG was used and spotted the last SW movie? Wow! Does someone knows what part??? It seems TG is used in many big movies but do we know what part of the move was created with TG? It would be awesome to show a still picture next to the poster on the site. That would be a really good PR for TG!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

Unfortunately we seldom get details about which scenes TG is used in, specifically. There are no doubt even films TG has been used on that we are not even aware of! Because of the way the industry works there is a sad disconnect between the people who own and produce the content (movie studios) and some of the people/companies that actually generate/create that content (VFX houses, etc.). So even if a VFX company might want to mention what software it used, or at least tell the developers, they often can't, at least not without significant "red tape". In communicating privately with VFX studios for things like technical support, they often can't tell us what they're working on either...

That being said, for Star Wars Episode VII and Rogue One Terragen was used mostly for planetary orbit shots. Presumably the same is true for VIII. If we ever get more info we'll happily share, of course!

- Oshyan

archonforest

Cool! Guess after the release of the movie we should be able to find this out...somehow... :D

ajcgi

NDAs are a bitch. Glad to see TG is getting used in Star Wars!

Ethrieltd

Quote from: ajcgi on January 25, 2018, 06:25:56 AM
NDAs are a bitch. Glad to see TG is getting used in Star Wars!

You're not wrong...

Here's great one...

There's a toy company that approached WB with a view to releasing action figures from the vintage TV series "V" which if you know a little about toy history you might know they made but never released figures during the series original run and that they would be highly sought after by figure collectors.

Now, they were told they have to "prove themselves" first by producing and selling merchandise for another WB property, except they're not allowed to tell anyone what it is, so basically they can do no pre merchandising of a mystery property (which then has to shift WB worthy volumes) in order to secure a property that has pre-whacked fans.

Yep, NDA's are a bitch!

ajcgi

Wow that's an especially tight one!
(late reply I know ;))

Seth

Just watched the movie two days ago and for some scenes, it is quite obvious Terragen was used. :)
For example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc0v2bcOJ3g
Don't tell me you don't spot Terragen in that clip XD

Hannes

Indeed! Looks somehow familiar... :)

Seth

Quote from: Hannes on March 17, 2018, 03:15:31 PM

Yeah and that is not very good news to me. It shouldn't be obvious that Terragen was used, don't you think ?

Hannes

Quote from: Seth on March 18, 2018, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: Hannes on March 17, 2018, 03:15:31 PM

Yeah and that is not very good news to me. It shouldn't be obvious that Terragen was used, don't you think ?

I think, it's not too obvious. I'm not even sure TG was used at all. It just looks familiarly TGish ;), and I think this is a compliment. :)

archonforest

Just checked the clip and it looks familiar. It could be Terragen :D

Seth

It is just a clip but I do think it is possible to spot several scene where you can spot Terragen through the whole movie. I might be wrong but I honestly think it was Terragen :)

Oshyan

Terragen was to our knowledge only or at least primarily used *in space* (e.g. planetary orbital shots) and possibly for atmospheric/sky effects elsewhere. So... if you guys are thinking it was used on the red planet and you think it looks "too TG", you might want to tell ILM their terrain workflow sucks. ;)

- Oshyan

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on March 20, 2018, 04:33:05 PM
Terragen was to our knowledge only or at least primarily used *in space* (e.g. planetary orbital shots) and possibly for atmospheric/sky effects elsewhere. So... if you guys are thinking it was used on the red planet and you think it looks "too TG", you might want to tell ILM their terrain workflow sucks. ;)

- Oshyan

Hehe that's a good one!

Seth

you are telling me that the mountains in these shots are not from Terragen ?!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fr.starwars/images/0/06/Bataille_de_Crait.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20171016132713
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fr.starwars/images/1/10/Crait.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170812074058
https://i.redd.it/dl25sd2io4b01.jpg

If not, well, I can truely tell ILM their terrain workflow does suck. Sorry but watching the movie, it didn't look really good compared to a lot of visual and still frames are a lot worse. Too bad I don't have the other images I have in mind. I would have to get the movie and do the screenshots by myself it seems.
If they didn't use TG... well... we can say it does look like it then, strongly looks like it. not even the best of it ;)