Stupid

Started by N-drju, January 25, 2018, 07:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

There must have been some mighty strong wind out there if the rocks got bent so much. ;D

[attach=1]

But seriously, just trying to laterally displace fake stones. Vector displacement shader is not a solution. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

luvsmuzik

what was your final multiplier? If you are using a power fractal to displace with remember that multiplies that value. check your distortion in the preview windows of the control boxes.

N-drju

No, that's not it. :) The fractal displacement went okay but then I got that crazy idea that I can further the effect using vector displacement shader with X at -0.2 or so.

I just can't seem to get how to horizontally (laterally) displace an object with power fractal. I know it requires computed normal, but regardless where I put it, nothing happens to my rocks / displacement.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hetzen

Depends on how large your stones are. The compute normal or terrain needs to be of a relevant size to work out how to map your stones to be able to give you the distortion you're looking for.

So if your stones have a relative size of 1m, then your patch size in the compute node needs to be smaller than that to accommodate the scale of distortion you're applying.

Dune

Yes, and render time will increase. You could use VD without compute normal (only a XYZ scalar will sometimes help), but need some variation, and it's a bit tricky. Three or four variations (X+, X-, Z+, Z-, that sort of thing) with small vector displacement settings in X and Z from a small sized PF (color not too rough) can do something.