Season's greetings from upstate New York

Started by sboerner, December 10, 2019, 05:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Just a little something for the holidays. (And an excuse to get a bit more mileage out of the interurban model.)

Oshyan

Ah, lunar halo! Very cool. The foreground and midground look really excellent. The angle of the background hill being entirely in shadow means no long shadows and it looks a bit odd that way, but I imagine it's more or less realistic as far as the setup of this scene anyway (i.e. this is not setup 100% like the real world and so the result cannot be 100% correct). But it's a beautiful scene overall. Is it path traced? I am guessing not, but can't be certain.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on December 10, 2019, 05:05:11 PMJust a little something for the holidays. (And an excuse to get a bit more mileage out of the interurban model.)

I was just observing this effect last night when it was clear and freezing up. It always reminds me of Christmas, those drives to families on Christmas Eve and watching the sky through the window. I imagine that's what a boy is up to on that trolley.

sboerner

Quote(i.e. this is not setup 100% like the real world and so the result cannot be 100% correct)
That's true. In the real world the sky and shadows would be darker, so you wouldn't miss the shadows under the distant trees. This is going to end up as our (printed) Christmas card, so I kept it cleaner and brighter than otherwise.

QuoteI imagine that's what a boy is up to on that trolley.
Exactly.

sboerner

This is path-traced, Oshyan. That's pretty much my default now.

Dune

Very nice, and it looks a bit like a (certainly no offense, but positively meant) naieve painting. I like the long blurry shadows of the deer, and indeed the halo. And thanks for reminding me to make some seasons greeting card too!

sboerner

QuoteVery nice, and it looks a bit like a (certainly no offense, but positively meant) naieve painting.
Thanks. Perhaps the telephoto lens contributes to that feeling as well because it flattens the perspective.

I may darken the shadows a bit before putting this on press, we'll see.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 11, 2019, 03:05:42 AMVery nice, and it looks a bit like a (certainly no offense, but positively meant) naieve painting. I like the long blurry shadows of the deer, and indeed the halo. And thanks for reminding me to make some seasons greeting card too!
Agree, and thanks for the Christmas Card reminder...gotta finish mine soon LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Wow! I agree absolutely with Ulco about the naive painting and the long blurry shadows of the deer. Beautiful!

sboerner

Thanks, all! Cards are at the printer now . . . better hurry. :)