15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on June 05, 2018, 11:02:52 AM
The plan is to model the poles and wires in Maya and place them as a single object in Terragen. The trick will be adjusting the car's trolley pole to align with the wire.

It might be a good idea to have the trolley as a separate object sharing the same axis as the car so you can manipulate it in TG
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

QuoteIt might be a good idea to have the trolley as a separate object sharing the same axis as the car so you can manipulate it in TG

Yes, that would save a lot of back and forth. Good idea, thanks.

Dune

Great modeling work and a nice blog. Regarding the strange vertical striations (even if I don't see them in your posted image); it might be the GISD. Did you try rendering with GISD off?

luvsmuzik

I have been wondering about this one. Again super!  :)

sboerner

Here's a detail of the rendering with contrast adjusted to make the striations more apparent. (They also show up in the highlights when those are adjusted.) I usually disable GISD but just checked and it was on this time. I'll try with it turned off.

[attach=1]

sboerner

QuoteI have been wondering about this one. Again super!

Thanks! Still plugging away here.

sboerner

Here are the results with GISD disabled. Appears to have solved the problem. Thanks, Ulco. I would have never thought to check that.

[attach=1]

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

The striations appear to still be there to my eye, even without GISD. GISD just seemed to be making them higher contrast/more visible. You say there's no texture on this? Are you using Smooth Normals? Might be a Normals issue...

- Oshyan

WAS

Wow, that Trolley is really well done, looks fanatastic. Reminds me of eating in the old trolly at the Old Speghetti Factory in Seattle when I was a kid. It was one of the original Seattle Trolleys from around the turn of the century, converted into a luxurious dining area haha I think they keep the tradition alive at the new locations and chain restaurants they're doing now, but not as good as the original converted one.

Those lines look like the geometry of the object, though, no? Being influenced by GISD and lighting?

sboerner

QuoteReminds me of eating in the old trolly at the Old Speghetti Factory in Seattle when I was a kid.

I vaguely remember those, too. At least the old trolley cars were being used for something! Perhaps a better fate than this: http://www.nymtmuseum.org/NYMTPict1.php?Reqst=206.jpg;Trolley%20Car%20206. This is the last remaining car from the old Buffalo, Lockport and Rochester Railway, hopefully awaiting restoration.

QuoteThose lines look like the geometry of the object, though, no? Being influenced by GISD and lighting?

The lines don't seem to be related to the object mesh. They occur even in places, like window panes, that consist of single, large polys. More in next post.

sboerner

QuoteThe striations appear to still be there to my eye, even without GISD. GISD just seemed to be making them higher contrast/more visible. You say there's no texture on this? Are you using Smooth Normals? Might be a Normals issue...

That's what I thought at first, too. But the striations don't seem to be related to the mesh. They are consistent over the entire area, regardless of poly size and flow. They may be related to the UVs, but I'm not sure about that yet. Smooth normals are enabled.

So, this is interesting. To isolate the problem I imported the trolley model into a new, default scene and set the lighting and model angle to match the main scene. Camera has same settings, too. GISD values are default but with Ambient Occlusion enabled:

[attachimg=1]

The faint pattern you see here is the underlying mesh. Since the final camera position will be much further away, I'm not concerned about this. But otherwise it's clean. There are no striations.

I copied the render node from this scene into the original scene – to make sure everything matches – and rendered again from a similar angle. GISD settings are identical:

[attachimg=2]

I may be missing something here (pretty likely), but if I'm not then the problem isn't with the render node. It's something else in the environment.

Unless the GISD radius has something to do with it. Is this value really measured in screen units, Oshyan? (It says pixels.) Not physical units like cm or meters? Maybe the radius is causing the occlusion to bounce off surfaces that exist in the main scene but not the empty one.

The marks can be reduced by setting GISD to Global Illumination and adjusting the occlusion weight, so honestly, I'm not too worried about this. Once the object displacement and textures are applied you probably won't see it. But I'm curious to know what's going on here.

masonspappy

sboerner

QuoteBeautiful modeling job!!

Thanks – appreciate it.