15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Oshyan

GISD is a screen-space effect so it is measured in Pixels.

- Oshyan

Dune

Curious. So (if you want to pursue this) what happens if you increase the spread of GISD, bigger than default 24? Or decrease it. It's in fact too irregular to have to do with polygons.

sboerner

QuoteGISD is a screen-space effect so it is measured in Pixels.

Thanks, Oshyan. I'm curious, though – what does it look for within the radius? Edges? (Why do I have this feeling that it's much more complicated than that.)

QuoteCurious. So (if you want to pursue this) what happens if you increase the spread of GISD, bigger than default 24? Or decrease it. It's in fact too irregular to have to do with polygons.

It took some experimenting but I was finally able to reproduce the effect in a new scene. I've started a new thread in the main discussion area (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24586.0.html) since it seemed a little out of place here. (Increasing the radius makes it worse, btw.)

sboerner

Quotegreat work :)

Thank you, Alois!

Oshyan

It uses a depth map calculated from the render process, among other things. So it's not a simple 2D effect that looks at the image and does some "magic", it actually uses real data from the scene, but rather than calculating every light path, it performs a simpler 2D view-dependent process that simulates GI fairly effectively in much less time.

- Oshyan

sboerner

Thanks for explaining that, Oshyan. Even with the little I know about the rendering process, that makes sense – it sounds similar to the way Maya used to calculate shadows, before raytracing became more practical. I can see how it would be faster here.

sboerner

So the interurban passenger car is completed and shaded. Some of the dirt and weathered surfaces need tweaks, but that can wait till the final scene is set up.

The trucks are shaded with a modified version of Hanne's rusted iron shader, and his brass shader is used for the grab bars and other metal trim. (Thank you for sharing, Hannes!) 

[attach=1]

Closeup of the truck.

[attach=3]

I don't remember the poly count but it is much higher than necessary. Once you start doing the research and modeling it can be hard to stop. Honestly I'm a little tired of looking at this – it's been more than two months and it's time to move on to the other models that will be needed for the scene. This and the bridge are the most complex, so I'm hoping that the rest will now go more quickly.

The remaining models include two more boats, several buildings, and infrastructure like utility poles and power lines.

This doesn't represent the final car position and angle, but shows its approximate size in the final scene.

[attach=2]

WAS

Man this sort of stuff is just amazing, the amount of detail is great. I can't wait to see this with an atmospheric setup.

sboerner

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to finishing all of the models so I can focus on the native Terragen stuff, especially lighting and atmosphere.

Dune

Terrific job! The amount of detail is indeed astonishing, and the shading of that car is beautiful.

mhaze

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

Echo the others! Superb work!