15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Such "hang ups" are most often due either to very rough/extreme displacement, reflectivity with ray-trace enabled, or both (the worst :D ).

- Oshyan

sboerner

Yup, going through a process of elimination and testing displacement just now. I think that is the culprit. There are vertical pits displaced beneath each of the bridge piers, right where the render was hanging. If that's what it is I should be able to dial those back.

DocCharly65

mhh... something wrong with the internet or the forum? I can't load the picture. I'll try it later again... so curious!

At the moment I only get this:

[attachimg=1]

Oshyan

They take a minute, they're quite wide, but they do load. If you specify them in a different way than "attach=1" it might work better.

- Oshyan

sboerner

Quotemhh... something wrong with the internet or the forum? I can't load the picture. I'll try it later again... so curious!

QuoteThey take a minute, they're quite wide, but they do load. If you specify them in a different way than "attach=1" it might work better.

Sorry about the file problems. I've resaved them at a lower quality setting to reduce the sizes and reattached them to the original post above as end-of-post attachments. Oshyan, if the sizes of these large images present any problems at all, please let me know and I will host them on my server and post links here instead.

sboerner

QuoteSuch "hang ups" are most often due either to very rough/extreme displacement, reflectivity with ray-trace enabled, or both (the worst :D ).

It was the displacement. I cleaned it up and the small patch that was hanging now renders in a few minutes. Life is good.  :)

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons yet, but rendering with "Defer all shading" seems significantly faster. Here are two chunks from the print-scale test strip. "Robust adaptive sampler" was also enabled. MPD=0.6, AA=6.

These should be the last large attachments for a while. I'll try not to make a habit of posting these.  :D

Dune

I wonder if they post if you rotate them 90ยบ  ;) In answer to the previous post, that is...

Incredible detail! Even all the bolts on the bridge. What a lot of work you put into this, fantastic!

sboerner

That might work. Let's see if the new attachments give anyone problems. I've learned to avoid very wide attachments, anyway.

sboerner

QuoteIncredible detail! Even all the bolts on the bridge. What a lot of work you put into this, fantastic!

Thanks! That kind of detail can make a difference, even when it's hovering on the edge of perception. If you can't see the details themselves, they always cast shadows.

Edit: I'm so impressed with the renderer's ability to handle all this data. There are gigabytes and gigabytes of meshes and surface textures in this scene, in addition to all the fractal displacements and color. If you use a little common sense it just chugs along and renders whatever you give it with no complaints. Hats off to Matt and the other people at Planetside.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on November 20, 2018, 11:48:54 AM
QuoteIncredible detail! Even all the bolts on the bridge. What a lot of work you put into this, fantastic!

Thanks! That kind of detail can make a difference, even when it's hovering on the edge of perception. If you can't see the details themselves, they always cast shadows.

Now lets hear a hip hip hooray for TG's polygon handling ability. This scene would jam up in many programs...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

QuoteNow lets hear a hip hip hooray for TG's polygon handling ability. This scene would jam up in many programs...

See my edit to the post above. Looks like our thoughts crossed each other!

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on November 20, 2018, 11:57:27 AM
QuoteNow lets hear a hip hip hooray for TG's polygon handling ability. This scene would jam up in many programs...

See my edit to the post above. Looks like our thoughts crossed each other!

noted...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 21, 2018, 01:49:49 AM
Echo echo!

Well you should know for sure given the massive scenes you make and use Z Brush as well which is a poly intensive app for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Really fantastic details! Tried to count the bolts of the bridge - gave up ;)
I love this project! Great work!