15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Thanks, Ulco. I installed LeafSnap a year or two ago but never got around to really trying it. Once spring arrives here and the trees are in leaf (another couple of months) I'm going to take it for a spin. It's a great idea if it works.

When I visited the SpeedTree website I was disappointed to see that their libraries are available only in SpeedTree format. Too bad they don't release them in interchange formats like Xfrog. The models look amazing. Is it node-based? (The developer version of PlantFactory has a node editor.) If my Terragen work ever becomes a true revenue generator here I may be able to justify licensing one or the other.

Dune

Well, kind of node based, you can add branches by adding 'nodes', but then you have an enormous amount of settings per node to vary almost anything, and randomize. If you ever decide to purchase a tree generator, go for ST.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 06, 2018, 04:14:27 AM
If you ever decide to purchase a tree generator, go for ST.

Although I don't own it having seen it's output here I would recommend ST as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

QuoteAlthough I don't own it having seen it's output here I would recommend ST as well.

I agree. From what I've seen here and on the company website, the results are very impressive.

QuoteSpeedtree stuff can't be traded, I'm afraid.

I'm curious about this. Can you export from ST to OBJ or FBX for import into other applications? And is this restriction a technical one, or is it stipulated by the license agreement? I don't know of any other vendors that restrict sharing/sales of files created with their products, so that would seem a little strict to me.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on March 06, 2018, 08:05:39 PM
QuoteI don't know of any other vendors that restrict sharing/sales of files created with their products, so that would seem a little strict to me.

Maybe they don't want them to cross breed...LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

QuoteMaybe they don't want them to cross breed...LOL

;D

Dune

sboerner

Bridge tender's tower is added and it and the bridge are shaded. Also a weir in the mid-distance, barely visible on the left bank of canal near the curve. Terrain surfaces are closer to where they should be, though the gravel road still needs work. Holding off on further work on the railroad tracks, as those will have to change to accommodate a siding for the trolley station.

[attach=1]

Closer view of the bridge, with it and the pedestrian gate at the top of the stairs in the raised position.

[attach=2]

luvsmuzik

Looking good! Did you ever say which version of TG you are using?

sboerner

Thanks. I'm using version 4.1.18 for Mac. The renderer is just amazing. And fast. Population and renderer quality settings are maxed out and the scene still renders in around 3 hours. (No clouds yet of course.)

Dune

Great. That's some fine looking model too, with all the details. Will you be adding some dirt and grime here and there? For realism I think that would work well.

sboerner

QuoteWill you be adding some dirt and grime here and there? For realism I think that would work well.

Thanks, Ulco. The piers and bridge deck have a bit of grime and aging but you're right, the  superstructure and approaches are too clean. On the other hand, it was nearly new, so any grime shouldn't be overdone. I have an idea to try as soon as I get a chance.

Also need to deal with the transition between the gravel road and the edge of the object. It's too abrupt. The concrete and brickwork were new and need to look that way - shouldn't be be chipped or broken. So somehow the gravel has to naturally overlap them. Any tips?

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

You could try using the gravel colors projected onto the object where you want to overlap. If you use a soft simple shape for the area of overlap (perhaps also thorugh transform shader world position), mask a surface shader with that and import the texture needed through a similar transform shader as a child, it should work. If you don't need the displacement, import it into the color tab. I've never tried it though.

sboerner

QuoteA continuing WOW from me...

Thanks, Bobby. I'm learning as I go here.

QuoteYou could try using the gravel colors projected onto the object where you want to overlap. If you use a soft simple shape for the area of overlap (perhaps also thorugh transform shader world position), mask a surface shader with that and import the texture needed through a similar transform shader as a child, it should work.

Ok, I think I'm following you here. You'd add a projected texture to the object's shading network? Are the transform shaders used to fine-tune the final shape and position of the simple shape? Have to admit I haven't used them much, probably would make my life easier.  :P

(See above . . . learning as I go.)

Is it possible to project a texture or displacement across an imported object and adjacent terrain? (Guessing the answer is yes – just feed it into the object's shading network from the main network?)

Updated rendering with some rust and grime – now it should look like it's experienced a couple of Upstate winters.

[attach=1]