15 miles on the Erie Canal

Started by sboerner, January 25, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Thanks all. Only a few models left. I can nearly see the light at the end of the tunnel and have started planning the next landscape, which in some ways will be simpler than this one.

That's my Canada goose model. The mesh took just a couple of hours but then I spent much of the next day working on the texture. Tried painting it by hand but I'm no artist. :P  After a couple of false starts I ended up piecing it together from parts of licensed stock images.

I don't have much experience with modeling and rigging organic shapes and have decided that it's time to change that.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on December 30, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
Thanks all. Only a few models left. I can nearly see the light at the end of the tunnel and have started planning the next landscape, which in some ways will be simpler than this one.

That's my Canada goose model. The mesh took just a couple of hours but then I spent much of the next day working on the texture. Tried painting it by hand but I'm no artist. :P  After a couple of false starts I ended up piecing it together from parts of licensed stock images.

I don't have much experience with modeling and rigging organic shapes and have decided that it's time to change that.

you could convert that Canada Goose to a Golden Goose by selling it at Danny's NWDA...just a thought.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

Quoteyou could convert that Canada Goose to a Golden Goose by selling it at Danny's NWDA...just a thought.

Thanks, Bobby. I appreciate that you think it might be worthy of NWDA. But the stock-image textures would present a licensing issue, even though they've been modified beyond recognition.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on December 30, 2018, 02:13:52 PM
Quoteyou could convert that Canada Goose to a Golden Goose by selling it at Danny's NWDA...just a thought.

Thanks, Bobby. I appreciate that you think it might be worthy of NWDA. But the stock-image textures would present a licensing issue, even though they've been modified beyond recognition.

Riiiight, I wasn't paying attention to that bit.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

These are great additions. Brings in fact more live there!
Love the picture more and more :)

Dune

You're a terrrific modeler. Birds and animals are hard to do if you don't have a bit of insight in their anatomy and behavior. But texturing is indeed the most time-consuming part. I may have to do some species of ducks in various postures, but I'm not looking forward to it   ::)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 31, 2018, 02:42:03 AM
You're a terrrific modeler. Birds and animals are hard to do if you don't have a bit of insight in their anatomy and behavior. But texturing is indeed the most time-consuming part. I may have to do some species of ducks in various postures, but I'm not looking forward to it   ::)

It's really too bad there isn't a Poser or DAZ for Fauna instead of the dress up dolls they currently market...That'd be really handy.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

Thanks, Ulco. So much of modeling involves reflex and muscle memory . . . after several years it is finally becoming second nature so I can perhaps try some things that I've avoided so far. I'm collecting art and anatomical references for humans and animals and hoping that I can learn enough to make good models. Anyway it's interesting to learn.

You have a background in biology as well as visual arts, correct? A useful combination.

QuoteIt's really too bad there isn't a Poser or DAZ for Fauna instead of the dress up dolls they currently market...That'd be really handy.

That would be handy, agreed.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on January 01, 2019, 11:10:54 AM

QuoteIt's really too bad there isn't a Poser of DAZ for Fauna instead of the dress up dolls they currently market...That'd be really handy.

That would be handy, agreed.

I really should look before I leap, DAZ has multiple (6) pages of models

https://www.daz3d.com/animals
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

Model of Studebaker farm wagon, c. 1910. This is probably the last artifact for the scene. Just need to add horses, a driver and some produce. That and a few more human figures and we can call this done. My insistence on creating all original models is stretching this out beyond all reason . . . but I'm learning a lot and bottom line, it's been fun.

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on January 30, 2019, 12:32:27 PM
Model of Studebaker farm wagon, c. 1910. This is probably the last artifact for the scene. Just need to add horses, a driver and some produce. That and a few more human figures and we can call this done. My insistence on creating all original models is stretching this out beyond all reason . . . but I'm learning a lot and bottom line, it's been fun.

I hear the 'beyond all reason' bit...when I moved home to do 'Mom Care' to keep her in her home I had a lot of free time and was just learning modeling so I measured and modeled every feature of this 1905 bungalo. Mom used to chuckle every time I came up from the basement to measure and sketch something else. Did it inside and out and it only took a year heh heh heh...went out the window in my first computer in a burglary some time ago and I've naught but a very basic frame and basement ...maybe I'll do that up again...it was a lot of fun I agree
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

QuoteI hear the 'beyond all reason' bit...when I moved home to do 'Mom Care' to keep her in her home I had a lot of free time and was just learning modeling so I measured and modeled every feature of this 1905 bungalo. Mom used to chuckle every time I came up from the basement to measure and sketch something else. Did it inside and out and it only took a year heh heh heh...went out the window in my first computer in a burglary some time ago and I've naught but a very basic frame and basement ...maybe I'll do that up again...it was a lot of fun I agree

Yeah once you get started it can be hard to stop. You just keep drilling down and adding more detail. So sorry that you lost all of that work!

Dune

sboerner

Thanks. I was lucky to find a set of hand-drawn scale drawings of a Studebaker farm wagon that someone made and put online almost 20 years ago. Amazing what people make available, and what you can find if you look hard enough. The diagrams showed only the running gear (wheel assemblies). The box and seat are based on photos.

I've always wondered why wagons from this era had cambered wheels. I think the answer is because they are "dished" to increase strength and prevent warping, and then tilted out to keep the lower spoke perpendicular to the ground. It's interesting, what you can learn.

masonspappy

Yeah once you get started it can be hard to stop. You just keep drilling down and adding more detail. ...

The more you model, the more tricks and techniques you learn. and the more tricks and techniques you learn the more intricate your models can be.
Very cool model!