A Typical Snowbound....

Started by bobbystahr, January 28, 2018, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

...and not liking what I see out the window render. Found an old project and fixed what was wrong, added the front two conifers I had picked up somewhere since then and and a leaf I extracted from a tree to populate on the water to hide an artifact I couldn't isolate so it was unremoveable. Turns out I like em.C&C welcome
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Matt

Hi Bobby,

To me it seems very underexposed. I see that a lot with Terragen renders from many artists here, not just you.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on January 28, 2018, 04:28:51 AM
Hi Bobby,

To me it seems very underexposed. I see that a lot with Terragen renders from many artists here, not just you.

Matt

I hear you and raise my hand as guilty of ignoring the exposure...will re render as it wasn't a long one...thanks for the input.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Doing some exposure tests and wow RTP is THE handiest for this...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Tangled-Universe

If you save as .exr then there's a lot you can do with the massive dynamic range in the exr format. You probably don't need to re-render.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 28, 2018, 01:38:03 PM
If you save as .exr then there's a lot you can do with the massive dynamic range in the exr format. You probably don't need to re-render.

heh heh Thanks but too late, but I would have had to as I adjusted the AA and mpD up, plus I wanted to rotate the right hand tree to avoid some bad U/V mapping and re do the water leaves.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Cocateho

Add in an antebellum mansion and you've got a great old plantation scene.

bobbystahr

Following Matt's direction and a couple of personal tweaks I have this much improved version. took just over twice as long. C&C welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Cocateho

Idk why, just reminds me of this place:

luvsmuzik

Love the setup, but wondering if the leaves in bath are masked right? I see a gray shadow edging, but not sure if it is made to be that way to highlight the contrast? I see them pinkish, not matching trees overhead?

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 28, 2018, 03:05:12 PM
Love the setup, but wondering if the leaves in bath are masked right? I see a gray shadow edging, but not sure if it is made to be that way to highlight the contrast? I see them pinkish, not matching trees overhead?

No they're a pop of a leaf I made from one of the maple trees ...they blew in from an early release from the Maple tree behind the camera heh heh heh, sorry it's the only leaf I had to hand.
I may redo the leaves entirely, but on an invisible plane instead of the lake as the pop even tho run thru a Distr. shader seems to follow the radial lines in the lake and it bugs me.
Well shamed into it I grabbed an alpha map from an xfrog leaf in Imagine3d and did the object from image routine so the next render will have appropriate leaves a float.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

hehe...float some of those pesky cherry/apple blossoms in there...love how those look like popcorn on the tree and then snow when they fall off. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 28, 2018, 03:35:29 PM
hehe...float some of those pesky cherry/apple blossoms in there...love how those look like popcorn on the tree and then snow when they fall off. :)

well those are actually crabapple trees, I made the leaf to match the trees it's under but I did think about it and they'd be so tiny the effect might be lost on an average viewer
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

So, in the pic you'll see a vertical/perpendicular line crossing the leaves and water. I suspect, as nada I've tried has had any effect, that is an artifact caused by the sun facing the camera as it's there with no population as well. I seem to recall this turning up in a water scene and a solution may or may not have been found. So this is on hold till I can fix that, any idea's? I'll re buff ones I've tried gently.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze