A Typical Snowbound....

Started by bobbystahr, January 28, 2018, 12:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 28, 2018, 08:57:47 PM
So, in the pic you'll see a vertical/perpendicular line crossing the leaves and water. I suspect, as nada I've tried has had any effect, that is an artifact caused by the sun facing the camera as it's there with no population as well. I seem to recall this turning up in a water scene and a solution may or may not have been found. So this is on hold till I can fix that, any idea's? I'll re buff ones I've tried gently.

No clue. water is on plane? Do you have sun heading at exactly 0 or 360? weird phenomenon for sure

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 29, 2018, 08:31:51 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on January 28, 2018, 08:57:47 PM
So, in the pic you'll see a vertical/perpendicular line crossing the leaves and water. I suspect, as nada I've tried has had any effect, that is an artifact caused by the sun facing the camera as it's there with no population as well. I seem to recall this turning up in a water scene and a solution may or may not have been found. So this is on hold till I can fix that, any idea's? I'll re buff ones I've tried gently.

No clue. water is on plane? Do you have sun heading at exactly 0 or 360? weird phenomenon for sure

Well after waiting and getting no replies I got bloody-minded and rebuilt the scene, but 100m left of center and the problem went away. the scene has changed a bit but gonna re render it today...will post it later..... your guess on the sun was accurate.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Yes, I did what I thought was going to be a beautiful rainbow mist on river shot IRL.....only to have a red streak right down the center, since I had aimed directly into the sun with my little camera. :) But it was soooo pretty.

bobbystahr

As I mentioned I just grabbed the bull by the horns and bit the bullet and started fresh. This works way better but C&C still welcome
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Very good! I really like the lighting, and coverage of grasses is great. Two things that bother me; the strange displacements at the sides of the pond, and the color of the brick thing. I'd tone that to the greys as well (though I know what an immense problem that would be  :P).

N-drju

Very climatic. Contrary to what Dune says, I actually like the jagged edges of the pond. It looks more dilapidated and historical that way which plays well with the general composition.

The highlight on the water could use some more spread perhaps.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 30, 2018, 02:20:24 AM
Very good! I really like the lighting, and coverage of grasses is great. Two things that bother me; the strange displacements at the sides of the pond, and the color of the brick thing. I'd tone that to the greys as well (though I know what an immense problem that would be  :P).

I was aiming at corroded/eroded without using the plugin as I wanted the pool to look old and abused and admit to failure there and the "Folly Wall"(look that up)came textured that way so the best I could do re: your suggestion is desaturate the textures to grey it down...that's a thought though.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on January 30, 2018, 02:35:35 AM
Very climatic. Contrary to what Dune says, I actually like the jagged edges of the pond. It looks more dilapidated and historical that way which plays well with the general composition.

The highlight on the water could use some more spread perhaps.

Well I'm glad my attempt at corruption of the pool base had some resonance...Dune didn't see it that way and I thought it failed as well so thanks for the comment on it. I'll take another stab at it as we've blow and snowing blow all day here; verging on blizzard conditions so I ain't goin anywhere today.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Is your pool an object, or your double-triple simple shape shader trick? Overall great improvements!!

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 30, 2018, 11:00:20 AM
Is your pool an object, or your double-triple simple shape shader trick? Overall great improvements!!

It's 2 SSshaders with the edge using Stroke and run thru a displacement shader as Stroke isn't available in displacements and the pool's a neg displaced rectangle using bevel..working on a new pool surface atm as I, as well as Dune, wasn't happy with the results I got here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

was wondering about cube displace SSS too, but sure you will get it right :)

Dune

Yeah, sink a hole in the ground by SSS, add a cube, sink it in the hole and displace like a pool.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 30, 2018, 12:28:27 PM
Yeah, sink a hole in the ground by SSS, add a cube, sink it in the hole and displace like a pool.

I was feeling confused till I figured the cube was the water in the SS shader pool...heh heh,,,foggy blizzard brain today
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 30, 2018, 02:20:24 AM
I'd tone that to the greys as well (though I know what an immense problem that would be  :P).

I think I got a pool tex I like and the "folly wall" was a dawdle as it was all open de-sat save as for each file and you're so right as it now fits rather than stands out..also re did the ivy as the large one irritated me from the start
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Bobby, alternatively you could perhaps make the pond edges imitate cobblestones with some tiles missing or damaged. FSS could be a nice addition. Doing something like this as a pond's edge:

[attach=1]

:)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"